AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Are my discus sick?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel Salazar

Default Are my discus sick?

Hi guys,

I have an 80 galon tank with 6 discus (3 +-3.5inch and 3 2inch) along with 10 tetra serpae and 7 cardinal tetras. I feel like the discus arent going after the food like the other fish did, or like even those same discus did on the local store where i bought.

Discus are staying on one side of the tank and the 3 small discus are mostly behind a driftwood or between one of the heaters and the side of the aquarium.

First I thought it would only be stress from when i first got them (2 weeks ago the smalls and 1 week ago the mediums) but this behavior has continued. So I was looking at the fish for white twisted feces but did find what it looks like tiny wholes in the face of one of the fish so i believe is hexamita.

Lift the temp up to 32c and used seachem metroplex (applied on water), removed activated carbon and some chopped garlic inside one of my filters.

Should I do anything else beside continuing with the metroplex? Is that really hexamita?

Thanks for your help. WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 18.01.01.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 18.01.00.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 18.00.59.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 18.01.06.jpg
    Last edited by abelsalazar; 02-15-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel Salazar

Default Re: Are my discus sick?

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Discus are staying on one side of the tank and the 3 small discus are mostly behind a driftwood or between one of the heaters and the side of the aquarium.

First I thought it would only be stress from when i first got them (2 weeks ago the smalls and 1 week ago the mediums) but this behavior has continued. So I was looking at the fish for white twisted feces but did find what it looks like tiny wholes in the face of one of the fish so i believe is hexamita.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating well. not going after live foods actively. being shy and standing still looking towards the background.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Started metropex and got temp up to 32c.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

80galon tank
    3 3-4inch discus
    3 2inch discus
    10 tetraa serpae
    7 cardinals
    4 corys

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30% twice a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Pretty much new. its been on for almost a month for cycling using media from my last aquarium.it has substrate, sand, rocks and driftwood along with some plants. soil depth is abour2-3inch (planed to be a kind of heavy planted aquarium

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

straight from tap, havent noticed a ph swing but i only have testing strips, not ph meter so i might be wrong

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 30c

- ph 6.5

- ammonia reading -.02ppm

- nitrite reading 1mg/L

- nitrate reading 5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100%

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

all livestock was introduced the las 10 days

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    granulated food and Flakes 2-3 times a day

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I don't think they're sick. I think they're stressed.

Your tank is not fully cycled. You should have 0 ammonia and nitrites. Try 50% WC every day until your filter catches up with the bio load.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel Salazar

Thank you! I'll do that.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree with Liz. In the meantime if you have access to Seachem Prime it has a dosing for ammonia & nitrite toxicity. It will detoxify both for 48 hours so your biofilter can eliminate them...

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I agree with Liz. In the meantime if you have access to Seachem Prime it has a dosing for ammonia & nitrite toxicity. It will detoxify both for 48 hours so your biofilter can eliminate them...
    Not according to this.https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/c...tenitrate/.But a below 7 ph will detoxify ammonia and some salt or Meth Blue may help to detoxify nitrite.Nothing on the market that I've
    come across that detoxifies the nitrogen cycle.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 02-18-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I do use Prime. Also I think the tank is cycled, those readings are because for amonia im using the seachem alert series, so there is no real 0 (only <.02 and for nitrites my test kit also has no result for 0, only for <1mg/L

However I did the water change and Im doing another one today just in case that is the case.

They are coming out more, there is just one of the small discus that keeps hiding but I think he might just still be stressed.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel Salazar

One of the small discus, the one that hide the most just died. What do you guys think could have happen? ):