AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody hate washing filter socks?

Default Re: Anybody hate washing filter socks?

Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    Jack, my sump is a diy that originally had just a sock holder rather than a tray. I’m guessing yours is set up like mine was, so to make it work I got the optional adapter that you see the drains going into off to the side. This allows the sensor to detect the water level rising, which causes the motor to advance the filter paper. If you go on YouTube and search for Klir filter you can see how it works, or go to Bulk Reef Supply and watch their videos.
    thanks, that price is a big hurdle for me. i'm thinking on some sort of disposable quilt batting solution, $10 buys A LOT

Real Name
    Mark

It was for me at first, but after doing a little math and figuring in my time dealing with nasty filter socks it made it a lot easier. Another bonus to the Klir is if you want to take a vacation, you don’t need to worry about finding someone that will change out a nasty sock every other day. Getting someone to drop some food in is way easier.

Real Name
    Mark

Just a quick update on the Klir. After running flawless for 2 months solid it stopped advancing the filter material. I contacted the manufacturer via email to troubleshoot the problem (a couple hours time total). I could have called I guess. Regardless there was no hassle getting parts sent to me and the unit was back in operation and all is well. While talking to the service tech, they told me the manufacturer was aware that the motor was at its limit with a 50yd roll, so now they come in 25yd 2 packs. Also the price for replacement parts for the future are reasonable.

nice when they support their product.

A trick I learned at a prawn hatchery. An old washing machine works pretty well on filter socks. If I had 15 socks, I would invest in one.

Yes, I hate cleaning filter socks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    thanks, that price is a big hurdle for me. i'm thinking on some sort of disposable quilt batting solution, $10 buys A LOT
    I agree
    I use disposable filter floss that's dirt cheap and when clogged just toss it out.

Real Name
    Mark

There is one thing the cheap floss won’t do and that’s change itself if you are gone for a week or more. I had to take a week long trip to walk my daughter down the aisle several states away. It was fairly easy to find folks to feed them but changing out filter media was too tall of an order for most. So for me it was a huge help and I came home to a display that looked like I never left. The only thing noticeable was they got bigger!

That's great and congratulations.

I've gone away many times anywhere from 3 - 5 weeks and not changing the floss was never a problem.
    Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice unit.. just not what I would spend my money on.
    You stated that you already had a problem with it, and in my experience with such items... there's more of that to come.
    Hope I'm wrong. . . Enjoy ;-)

Real Name
    Mark

Yep,the company realized the length of the original size of the rolls was too much for the motor to handle. They reduced the length and the unit is fine. There is no way I could get away with that amount of time with my water volume and stocking level. I’m running 400 gals with fifteen 5”+ fish, even a 200 micron sock gets nasty in less than a week let alone a 100micron sock. If floss works for you cool, everybody finds what works for them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

I was surprised nobody mention using dishwasher to clean the filter socks. I clean 12 x 100 micron socks with two cycles of heavy duty washing program and baking soda. I have been doing that for over a year and all my discus and fancy goldfish are fine. I believe the hot water from the dishwasher help a lot

P1.jpg

I hope that's not the dishwasher that you use for your family's dinnerware :-p

And I equate the use filter socks to diapers. If you're not using disposable, you're spending way too much time with poopie

Real Name
    Mark

I thought about the dishwasher thing, but considered the subtle cost of the machine, hauling it downstairs, plumbing hot and cold to it, plumbing a drain, another circuit to run, and the water and electric to run it. So yeah too much time and money with poopie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12