ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a couple questions....

Registered Member

Default New guy with a couple questions....

Hey there, a couple questions.....

I have a 55 gallon that I have been cycling with a FX4 for 6 weeks. I got some trusted biohome media from a friend that has a discus tank from same beeeder I will be buying from soon.

I have never seen nitrites. I do finally show 5.0 nitrates, ammonia is 0-.25 (been using prime with water changes frequently) but has always been 0 nitrites. Is it possible I have not seen any nitrites due using existing media?

Also, my tap water PH is roughy 8.0 straight from the tap. My Ph in tank is 7.4-7.5 ish. Would I be ok not to age water and go straight from the tap without stressing the discus? I really don’t have a place for a barrel for aging. I do have a RO unit under my kitching sink with a 3 gallon tank. If I added 3 gallons of RO, possiblly that would help with the fluctuation?

I plan on adding 6 discus very soon from Uncle Sams (they are 10 min from me) Any advice would be appreciated.

PS, Love this site!

Thanks in advance!

Chad
    Last edited by Hendo; 02-17-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: New guy with a couple questions....

Hi< how's it going,, I my self am also new to discus. I have been doing research on this matter and talking to Kenny from Kenny Discus, and he has informed me that tap water is ok but to ad prime before adding the tap water.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Hi< how's it going,, I my self am also new to discus. I have been doing research on this matter and talking to Kenny from Kenny Discus, and he has informed me that tap water is ok but to ad prime before adding the tap water.
    Kenny's response suggests that any tap water anywhere should be okay. I presume that he is referring to good old USA tap. I believe that Kenny knows what is right. My experience, using 5 fishes purchased from Kenny 4 months ago, has been tap water cycled for 2 days with Prime added before fish introduced. I have a test kit but have not used it yet. Five fishes all have grown, have vibrant colors, and eat with no abandon any food that I feed them. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I did not over think this as some tend to do. I will admit that after 4 months I have not had an attempt by any of the 5 rascals to spawn. Or that Kenny has very durable and high quality fish that can withstand that which boarders on the extreme of their tolerations...I believe that to be true.

Any plan to get larger tank as they grow? Curious of long term plan. As for RO and aging barrel situation, do a few tests on water straight from tap in a container. After 2 days, test again and look at oh swing. If not bad, then you may not even have worry about aging.

Also, put water on cold only if interested in doing test. Small container/cup. Rinse a lot before filling (so no soap or what not). My current favorite pair is from Uncle Sam's. They're one of my favorite distributors.
    -Elliot

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post

I have a 55 gallon that I have been cycling with a FX4 for 6 weeks. I got some trusted biohome media from a friend that has a discus tank from same beeeder I will be buying from soon.

I have never seen nitrites. I do finally show 5.0 nitrates, ammonia is 0-.25 (been using prime with water changes frequently) but has always been 0 nitrites. Is it possible I have not seen any nitrites due using existing media?
    G'day Chad,

What have you been using to cycle your tank? Ammonia is an essential ingredient in the nitrogen cycle. Without an ammonia source any beneficial bacteria in your existing media cannot survive, as ammonia is their food. The 1st process in the cycle is the conversion of ammonia into nitrite, and then 2ndly nitrite into nitrate. No ammonia = no nitrite.

Can you please tell us about your cycling process?

Cheers mate,

Danny

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    G'day Chad,

What have you been using to cycle your tank? Ammonia is an essential ingredient in the nitrogen cycle. Without an ammonia source any beneficial bacteria in your existing media cannot survive, as ammonia is their food. The 1st process in the cycle is the conversion of ammonia into nitrite, and then 2ndly nitrite into nitrate. No ammonia = no nitrite.

Can you please tell us about your cycling process?

Cheers mate,

Danny
    Hey Danny,

Unfortunately I did a fish-in cycle. I have a couple Sterbais and 8 neons in there. I’ve been doing daily water changes adding prime. Ammonia levels have never gone past .5 and last couple weeks it’s been 0-.25 but I have .25 out of tap. I bought a 20 gallon QT tank after reading about it on this site and doing fishless cycle now. Not sure why I would be showing nitrates in 55 unless the nitrite to nitrate cycle happens very quickly and I missed it? Was thinking it has to do with using existing biohome media but maybe it’s still cycling. My plan is to give the neons to a buddy with a community tank and just get 5-6 discus. Just don’t want to add to soon.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Hendo; 02-18-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Registered Member

Hi Elliot,
    I do plan on getting a bigger tank in future but am hoping the 55 would house 5-6 with a few clean up crew with lots of water changes.

I will try the 2 day test. Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Hendo; 02-18-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Ok gotcha Chad, I was wondering how you achieved your ammonia & nitrate numbers...the nitrite is a bit of a mystery though...being a food chain oriented cycle it is not possible to break the chain and have nitrates without nitrites 1st being present. So if your testing kit is accurate and you do in fact have nitrates present, then somehow nitrites had to have been converted...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post

Also, my tap water PH is roughy 8.0 straight from the tap. My Ph in tank is 7.4-7.5 ish. Would I be ok not to age water and go straight from the tap without stressing the discus? I really don’t have a place for a barrel for aging. I do have a RO unit under my kitching sink with a 3 gallon tank. If I added 3 gallons of RO, possiblly that would help with the fluctuation?

I plan on adding 6 discus very soon from Uncle Sams (they are 10 min from me) Any advice would be appreciated.

PS, Love this site!

Thanks in advance!

Chad
    Hello, Chad! Excited to see you are jumping into discus keeping! It's rather awesome!

How will your tank be set up (bare bottom or scaped)? My pH from the tap is relatively close to yours. To help with the pH I use driftwood in my aquascapes. I also use peat in my FX4 filter. Unfortunately RO water seems to not do too much as I'd hope in lowering the pH in my experiences, so I've decided to just go with majority tap water. I'd be shocked if 3 gallons of RO water would show any signs of improvement in lowering your pH in the tank. Either way, discus can still thrive in the mid 7s. Biggest advice since you are not going to be able to age your water is to ensure you place prime in your tank before adding water directly from the tap. I use a python hose to add tap, so I'll do a full dose of prime at the beginning and I'll do little less than a half dose in the middle or end of the water change to ensure the tank is treated well.

Edited to add: Before having a python hose adapter to connect to my kitchen sink, I had good ole fashion 5 gallon buckets that I would individually fill with the correct dosage of prime and I'd mix the water and let the buckets sit for a couple hours before adding to the tank. This worked, but it was hard maintaining temperature which is pretty important during a water change. Plus, my wife hated having a whole bunch of water buckets nearly full sitting in the house. hahaha

Uncle Sam's Discus is a great place to get discus. You're lucky to be living so close!
    Last edited by Phil4Discus; 02-18-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Registered Member

This is a lot of great information good forum! I have Also I learned as long as you do a pretty decent amount of water changes daily for about two weeks or so you can put your discus in the tank and let them cycle it! Of course Adding prime every time!

Hi Chad,

Unfortunately I did a fish-in cycle. I have a couple Sterbais and 8 neons in there. I’ve been doing daily water changes adding prime. Ammonia levels have never gone past .5 and last couple weeks it’s been 0-.25 but I have .25 out of tap. I bought a 20 gallon QT tank after reading about it on this site and doing fishless cycle now. Not sure why I would be showing nitrates in 55 unless the nitrite to nitrate cycle happens very quickly and I missed it? Was thinking it has to do with using existing biohome media but maybe it’s still cycling. My plan is to give the neons to a buddy with a community tank and just get 5-6 discus. Just don’t want to add to soon.

Cheers!
    Unfortunately your tank is no where near cycled. The amount of waste a few sterbai and neons make coupled with daily water changes isn't enough to cycle the tank for anything except those small fish.I would suggest you take those small fish out and rehome to the 20 gal qt tank, then use clear ammonia to cycle. Your friend could supply more biofiltration media or use what they gave you already. If you add discus at this point you will have major issues and major ammonia and Nitrite spikes,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    This is a lot of great information good forum! I have Also I learned as long as you do a pretty decent amount of water changes daily for about two weeks or so you can put your discus in the tank and let them cycle it! Of course Adding prime every time!
    Hi Raphael, This is true and not true. If you put discus is a non- cycled tank, you can get by with daily water changes but they have to be of a volume thats sufficient to remove the ammonia, and if you do that the cycling will take a very very long time,.. as in 4-6 or weeks or more. This is because you are removing the biofilters food each time you do a water change so it really can't develop fast.

You also have to account for your water pH. If you have high pH ( mids 7s on up) any ammonia you have is toxic... The higher the pH the more toxic the ammonia. Acidic water turns the ammonia into a not so toxic form.

Next up is your nitrite levels.. Once the ammonia spikes,, Nitrites will follow shortly after.. Nitrites get absorbed by the gills and bind to hemogloblin, causing brown blood disease, basically the fish can't get enough oxygen when this happens and that stresses them out and can interfer with all kinds of biological processes.

Stressed fish become sick fish as the immune system fails.

Its really not ideal to cycle a tank when fish are present. Best to cycle the tank proper, be patient and add the discus when the tank is cycled. Sure you can just do huge daily water changes instead, but thats not something most people will religiously do with new fish and if you slack, The fish will not do well.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thank you..brewmaster, I appreciate the information definitely helps! 🙂

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome. Al's (Brewmaster) advice is the safest option. Once you get discus in your tank you will be literally throwing food at them so the load on your biological filtration is going to greatly increase compared to what you have achieved doing a cycle with a few undemanding fish. It is in theory possible for your tank to adjust but it would involve changing most of the water probably even twice daily at least to start with. Considering the expense and the emotional burden of getting your first discus I agree that a proper fishless cycle is the safest bet. With regards to water changes straight from the tap, beyond checking for pH swings, do check for micro-bubbles that can be a problem particularly in winter. If you fill a container do the sides appear coated in small air-bubbles? If so you should try and minimize this problem as they can interfere with the gas exchanges at gill level and be quite distressing for discus
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

Ok, I will check for the micro bubbles, as far as waiting to get the fish it’s a little late for that lol upon receiving the information from my sauce the fish have already have been ordered and was assured that it would work. As long as I stick to the routine. I’ve kept angelfish for 10+ years so I do have some experience. Hopefully everything works out thanks again for the information guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast