AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My discus have jagged fins!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Murphy

Exclamation My discus have jagged fins!

My whole batch of red eagles has started to get jagged fins which do not heal..ie not from being bitten by other discus. They are 5 mths old and very healthy growing at a fast rate, which makes it even more bizarre. Always had 0 ammonia,0 nitrite and 0 nitrate since hatching. 60% water change daily and fed beef heart mix, with fish, prawns,spinach and peas. A little *****em product in there as well. Is it genetic? parents are perfect and come from Forrest stock. Im from Melb, Australia. Our water is extremely clean, maybe too clean. TDS coming in from tap is 27 PPM. Is that my problem?, not enough minerals?? Any ideas??

cheers,Daniel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Discus-Dan; 02-18-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: My discus have jagged fins!

IMO, you may be correct about the lack of trace minerals. There are products available to correct this but I'm not sure what's in your area.

Unfortunately, the fins will not fix themselves, and it's also probably an indication of more hidden issues, but you may be able to improve the overall health by treating your water...

Hello Daniel,
    It does sound like its a deficiency. Thats the bad news ..The good news is its treatable in most cases. My guess is your water is lacking in minerals and your Beefheart mix may be as well. I would change up their diet for starters and be sure to add adequate vitamins to your home made mix.. Sometimes homemade mixes are high in an enzyme called thiaminase which destroys vitamin B1 (thiamine) which could be a contributing factor.. B1 is involved in all kinds of metabolic processes. I would start with the water... Start adding Calcium Chloride and magnesium sulphate to your water, These additives are great sources of some minerals.. a tablespoon at water change time goes a long way, You can also filter thru crushed coral for a steady release ( argonite ) substrate for marine tanks is great.

Next have a look here..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...eckel-Hair-Cut!!!!

Most of the damage to your fins is in the soft rays, Fix the water issue and trim the fins as described and they will grow back normally in very short order. If you don't trim them , they never will. A few of the fish have border line short gill plates, these may be evident as adults or not much, its hard to say.

Theres definitely nothing genetic here, its basically a husbandry issue that others have run into before,

Hth,
    ak
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Murphy

awesome, thanks for the info.. will trim fins and add the minerals, see how e go!