ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anybody know what this is?

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: anybody know what this is?l

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    I’ve noticed my Males seem to get these “pimples” on occasion but my Females do not. The Males fight a lot and fin nip a lot. I’ve also noticed when I do nothing but routine maintenance they go away. My advice would be, continue excellent husbandry and see if it doesn’t clear up. If it gets worse, cut it off like Al said. If it gets smaller, let er ride. That’s my .02.
    Thanks for weighing in Amy. I have some real players in my tank too. Ha ha and it’s usually the males like you said. I do tend to worry maybe too much, but do you do daily wc’s on your adults? It just seems I don’t have any wiggle room here. I’m not overstocked with 8 adults discus in a 125 gal. so I do think there’s something else at play (besides the roll in the hay play). Ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: anybody know what this is?l

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Thanks Daniel. That gives me an idea. I have filter wool and I think I might put some in my filter socks to help catch waste. My 1st compartment is inaccessible for the most part so I’ll try that because waste gets through where the sock top meets the acrylic hole in my sump. I didn’t have these problems with my canister filters when I was growing these guys out in my 75 gal. Thanks again for your help.
    Patty
    Daniel, I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion about the filter wool. I received mine and cut out circular pieces as my sump has those darn sock cut outs. I place these over the socks and they are catching the debris. It’s not even getting through to the socks (which I hate cleaning). I was going to layer them, but I just rinse out the one on top and I love it! It’s working great and traps stuff better. The best part is it’s so cheap compared to some of the other stuff I read about, like the newest now/wow thing for $500. I, and my wallet are much happier with this easy tried and true method.
    I also enhanced my biological filtration and bought some biohome for the next section which it’s so much cleaner now. It’ll take some time for that to work it’s magic, but my fish looks so much better already. You are the bomb.com! Thank you so much!
    Patty

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: anybody know what this is?

My pleasure Patty! I am glad you found a cost effective and beneficial routine that is working for you!! I love simple things that work and ease pressure on the wallet regarding the latest fad item. Have a good evening mate. Plz keep us updated on any adaptions to make it work better. I love my sump and it's only noisy when it is time to squeeze out the sponges, so a good reminder. My wife likes the sound of trickling water as well
    Last edited by danotaylor; 03-01-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: anybody know what this is?

Update: It’s been 2 weeks of daily 50% wc’s and adding biohome ultra and filter wool to my sump. Im very happy to report that things couldn’t be better. Tail is completely cleared up and everyone is looking/acting great. I haven’t tried to skip a wc yet to see if I can get away with an every other day wc, but like many others, I’ve found simple Wc’s cures most ills. AC5BDCCD-796D-4B09-80C2-97C0F520CEEB.jpg
    Patty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12