ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody know what this is?

Real Name
    Patty

Default anybody know what this is?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

White Raised spot on Fin.

I had what I believe was a flagellate problem a couple weeks ago. I spent a day here researching and was pretty certain I’d found the culprit. My husband read the article from University of Florida and agreed. We treated with metronidazole medicated flake that I had in the freezer from Angels plus and fed them that exclusively for 8 days. My bd had started showing signs and symptoms of hith and a couple other had 1 or 2 little white protrusions visible. All those problems resolved but this spot remains on her.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

She acts normal, eats like a pig, swims the tank, but this raised spot is not going away. There has been a lot of mating behavior but it’s mostly the males fighting over her.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    I jumped the gun and answered previously

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish

125 gal. She’s maybe a year old. Others are 2 1/2 yrs old? 7 discus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

80% every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Bare bottom. Running over two years

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Aged 24 hrs. I don’t have more than .2 ph swing but I age for peace of mind and to avoid micro bubbles.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 83

- ph _7.4____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _5___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Al’s fdbw 2 X a day and a Captain Bob’s small batch home made flake once daily.
    This guy knows his stuff and uses all natural ingredients for the vitamins no crushed vitamins. I found it through a very well connected member here and feed it to all my fish without issue.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

9D7B9FBB-B86B-4F19-B545-277DEF1CE519.jpg0F7E4A9F-DB20-41E5-B26A-704CB040BA45.jpg45502CC6-C69E-4813-97E7-366CDEACFFA9.jpg74F55FD6-36C2-4533-9231-BD168ACD0180.jpg

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input.
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 02-19-2019 at 03:00 AM.
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: anybody know what this is?l

It looks like a bacterial node or a discus pimple to me Patty . Ive had them in the past , they come and heal away on their own with just clean water , leaving no harm on Discus .
    They are usually associated sub par water quallity and lowered immune system just like the Hith and flaggelates you were treating before this are .
    Now the part that puzzels me and I unfortinaltely can get answer to is why this is happening in your perfectly clean and maintained tank .
    I wonder if anyone else can find the real reason for this problems you've encountered in your very well maintained tank .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

No expert here Patty, but I too think it is a discus pimple. I had 1 on my royal yellow a few months back. I added 1tbsp sea salt per 10 gal and it was gone the next water change.
    Here's how my boys looked, pretty similar except the location;
    20181030_220412.jpg

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Filip and Daniel. I first thought pimple, but the fact that it hasn’t gone away is what has me baffled.
    I don’t usually encounter pimples with my wc regimen, but I did notice crud in my corner overflows that I’d over looked. They are spic and span now, but maybe that’s where the problem started. The protrusions I described (now gone) look exactly like your picture Daniel, so thanks for posting it. I’ll add salt and do daily wc until it clears up.
    Thanks for your help and sage advise. You guys are the best! Thanks for being there.
    Patty

Real Name
    Daniel

Happy to assist Patty! All the best to ya and your fishes

Real Name
    Filip

Im crossing my fingers for it to resolve with salt and lots of clean water Patty .

Patty, sometimes when these occur on the tail or fins the bacteria gets into the bone there and it can persist.. If it does , the easiest fix for that location is a scissors,

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Al! I’ll make an appointment for her with my hairdresser. Ha ha
    Patty

Registered Member

just use alder cones provide a natural ballast substance source, furthermore these ingredients have antibacterial and fungicidal effects

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks everyone for your input. I had a lightbulb moment last night. The question that keeps bugging me is why am I having these problems when I’m so adamant about wc’s? I’m thinking it’s a filtration problem with my sump. I know it sounds so obvious in retrospect. Ha ha
    I’m going to be doing some research on filtration here today and see if I can get to the root of the problem. Until then I’ll have to be the substitute filtration system and do daily wc’s. If you have a sump, I’d like to know what you have in there and how it’s working for you. Thanks for your help. I feel like I’ve really honed in on the problem and solutions are not far behind! Here’s a pic of my sump from left to right.
    The first chamber with 2 heaters and 2 bags of matrix. The second chamber I recently added poret foam. I also cut poret to fit over my filter socks, but pulled them out for fear that it may be slowing down filtration too much. Third pic is just the return pump. So what do you use in yours? Thanks for your responses sumpers
    Patty
    216FB4D7-CCEB-44EB-AE89-01EE8D4E881D.jpg7B27A63E-C778-4776-84FC-78310E415578.jpg82DF14E0-F5AD-43D0-9F4D-F0B82B552772.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

Patty I have a 3 stage sump. Stage 1 is purely filter wool for mechanical filtration, stage 2 is bioballs and stage 3 is the return. I notice the surface overflow gurgling when the filter wooll has reach it's full load potential, about 1 time per week, and then I pull it, rinse it thoroughly until clean again, and pop it back in. Very little solid debris makes it past stage 1, but if I notice any particles in the return I siphon it out and clean it thoroughly as well. That happen prob 1-2 times per month.
    I feed deer heart exclusively which as well all k ow is messy, but very little if any makes it onto the sump because my overflow only skims the surface. I vacuum and wipe down the tank regularly, some weeks more than others, but on the whole my system stays in good shape with my routine. I haven't had pimples (or any health issues) with my 7 adult discus since that 1 time with my royal yellow pictures above.
    All the best to you mate. Plz let us know what you discover & decide about your sump!

Patty I wish I could help you but Im not a "sumper." Aquaclear 110s and hydro sponges are all I use.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Amy

I’ve noticed my Males seem to get these “pimples” on occasion but my Females do not. The Males fight a lot and fin nip a lot. I’ve also noticed when I do nothing but routine maintenance they go away. My advice would be, continue excellent husbandry and see if it doesn’t clear up. If it gets worse, cut it off like Al said. If it gets smaller, let er ride. That’s my .02.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Patty I have a 3 stage sump. Stage 1 is purely filter wool for mechanical filtration, stage 2 is bioballs and stage 3 is the return. I notice the surface overflow gurgling when the filter wooll has reach it's full load potential, about 1 time per week, and then I pull it, rinse it thoroughly until clean again, and pop it back in. Very little solid debris makes it past stage 1, but if I notice any particles in the return I siphon it out and clean it thoroughly as well. That happen prob 1-2 times per month.
    I feed deer heart exclusively which as well all k ow is messy, but very little if any makes it onto the sump because my overflow only skims the surface. I vacuum and wipe down the tank regularly, some weeks more than others, but on the whole my system stays in good shape with my routine. I haven't had pimples (or any health issues) with my 7 adult discus since that 1 time with my royal yellow pictures above.
    All the best to you mate. Plz let us know what you discover & decide about your sump!
    Thanks Daniel. That gives me an idea. I have filter wool and I think I might put some in my filter socks to help catch waste. My 1st compartment is inaccessible for the most part so I’ll try that because waste gets through where the sock top meets the acrylic hole in my sump. I didn’t have these problems with my canister filters when I was growing these guys out in my 75 gal. Thanks again for your help.
    Patty

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    just use alder cones provide a natural ballast substance source, furthermore these ingredients have antibacterial and fungicidal effects
    I have some almond leaves I’ll toss in. Thanks for the advice Tutterosso!
    Patty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast