ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Male 1 or Male 2 ????????????????

Default Male 1 or Male 2 ????????????????

Hello all, greetings my problem is this plain and simple I purchased 3 Curiperi cross's from Kenny out of those three I think I have 1 female and 2 males hence the male1 or male 2 intro. I separated 2 to a breeder tank after a time in the main tank there breeding but not any results in the protection of there breeding cone or even the area around them. In the main tank are 3 striped Alenquers I believe are all females and one more Curipera believed to be the other male, with a total of six discus. While there for the last 6 weeks being observed I watched to see if any breeding would take place and there was but to no avail, my problem is this with male 1 there is no courtship and no fighting, male 2 there is so much bickering I wonder if they are a pair. When in the main tank all three of them seemed okay, the preferred pair still were bickering and wanted to keep the other male I believe away from them while they consummated there formation. So I hope I explained myself, should I keep the two together that are bickering or the two that are compatible together and not fighting. The one that is fighting I'm pretty sure is the female, thanks in advance for your expertise. Jim In Ohio

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Male 1 or Male 2 ????????????????

Hi Jim,
    So when you say the pair where breeding, you mean they laid eggs, right? But none hatched? Or they ate them, or what happened? I like to keep my possible pairs in the group tank for the social interaction and competition, and let them work out the breeding pecking order. SOmetimes I've gotten lucky and the fry even hatch there, but of course don't last. Once they've paired up, then I move them to their own tank. Also works fro my limited space.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Jim,
    So when you say the pair where breeding, you mean they laid eggs, right? But none hatched? Or they ate them, or what happened? I like to keep my possible pairs in the group tank for the social interaction and competition, and let them work out the breeding pecking order. SOmetimes I've gotten lucky and the fry even hatch there, but of course don't last. Once they've paired up, then I move them to their own tank. Also works fro my limited space.
    Well yes thanks for the reply they were breeding in the big tank, a striped female Alenquer and the female Curiperia were laying eggs and the male Curiperia was eating them because the of the Alenquers laying of eggs. The Curiperia's were fighting laying eggs along with the alenquers laying of eggs, their was another male in the tank but had no interest in the pairing up with the female Alenquers. So he was just a standby observer I wish he did pair up with a female alenquer but has no interest in them maybe it's their size I don't know their around 5-5.5" he's 6 maybe 6.5".

If I had another pair I could do that interaction that your suggesting but my other new discus are in QT for another 3 weeks so this is all I have at the moment.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks, sorry, I didn't get it all the first time. I'm not going to claim any expertise here. I usually just wait and let them figure it out.

Registered Member

I got a little confused, are you saying you have one confirmed pair and another male that is not interested in breeding?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I got a little confused, are you saying you have one confirmed pair and another male that is not interested in breeding?

Cliff
    I can't really say they are confirmed, they do breed in the main tank but when isolated in a breeder tank just fighting with each other, and with male 2 calm in breeder tank all is calm no fighting. When all three are together male 1 and the female keep male 2 away so they can breed, I'm a bit confused as to what I should do.

Maybe I'm not explaining this the right way. I purchased 6 discus from Kenny's discus, 3 were of the curipera cross strain and 3 were striped alenquers. After 6 weeks together I believe a male and a female curipera started hanging out together doing the dance an so on. The other curipera which I thought was a male wanted the female also so I thought I had a pair forming. All said an done I placed a breeding cone in the tank and they started laying eggs, also in the main tank were 3 alenquers that I figured were females, the curipera pair was laying eggs and one of the alenquer was laying eggs. One of the curipera either the male or female started trying keeping the alenquer away so they could have the cone to themselves but to no avail and then started eating the eggs that's why I isolated them to there own tank. So that's where I'm at now with that pair fighting, and when swapped out with other curipera no fighting???????????????????????????????????? Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Ok, I think what,s going on. Going back to the fighting
    isolated pair, they will fight the female probably is not
    comfortable with the new set up and doesn,t want to spawn that's why they are fighting. I would go ahead and add a large aggressive Discus to the tank,
    this way you will force the pair to rebond.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 02-20-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Okay thank you I'll give it a try and go from there, in the mean time my other Curipera male connected with one of my Alenquer females and laid some eggs in the main tank. They've have fungus on them and I don't see them surviving but at least there getting the experience, I'll let these go and remove them after there next spawning...…..Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Okay thank you I'll give it a try and go from there, in the mean time my other Curipera male connected with one of my Alenquer females and laid some eggs in the main tank. They've have fungus on them and I don't see them surviving but at least there getting the experience, I'll let these go and remove them after there next spawning...…..Jim in Ohio
    You might want to remove them after the eggs are fertile just to make sure they are a confirm pair.
    Also you can remove the egg and see if they hatch out, sometime it may take a few spawns.

Cliff