ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discus.com anyone?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus.com anyone?

Yes with that many and that cheap...... if it’s to good to believe.... shame too because you’ve got discus madness on the other side of the tunnel. Also that aquarium by the Javits center.

Registered Member

I went and checked it out. I see pics of facilities that I recognize as not theirs which they claim to be. There's also a section where they dox people that has had problems with them with pics and addresses claiming they are thieves, it's at the bottom of the page under law enforcement hall of shame. That's illegal... I see many defamation lawsuits going their way. Just a matter of time before that site gives a 404 error.

Registered Member Trapdoor Snail Enthusiast's Avatar

confirmed drop shipping business. go on youtube and search drop shipping if you're unfamiliar with how it works (worth it, it might save you from wasting money).

it's one thing to drop ship cheap crap from aliexpress, but to do it with live fish is not good imo.

Registered Member

How do I read the link that you have provided in this thread. I am a new member and it won't let me open it. I'm a bit confused! Cheers Jeanette

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by jjferg View Post
    How do I read the link that you have provided in this thread. I am a new member and it won't let me open it. I'm a bit confused! Cheers Jeanette
    Jeanette the best thing you can do is take heed and stay away from discus.com altogether...don't even look there, just take a wide berth

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjferg View Post
    Why waste your time with it? There are so many good suppliers sponsoring the forum to explore and get to know. A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Real Name
    Brian

If it's the link from Kenny, his sponsor page is no longer available for public view. Here's the main quote...

Hi everyone,

It has been brought to my attention repeatedly by many of my old customers that https://www.discusfish.com/ has been stealing my monthly shipment strain photos to sell my long-time supplier Forrest Teo's discus on his website that he doesn't actually have. The owner of the site has been informed and warned by me of his unethical business practice(I have all email correspondences here) but he refused to take down these stolen photos and he continues still to misrepresent discus he's selling to discus hobbyists. For the past 12 years (since 2005) I've been Forrest Teo's sole US distributor so no other US discus sellers import directly from Forrest Teo. Anyone claiming to have imported Forrest Teo's discus here in the US is 100% making a false claim. He also claims to possibly be selling Forrest Teo's discus though my wholesale customers but I've checked with every single one of my wholesale customer and no one is selling Forrest Teo's discus to him. Please beware of the above site's unethical business practice.

Example of Forrest Teo's discus photos taken from our monthly shipments:

https://www.discusfish.com/ (discus.com)

We are currently working to send the owner of the above website a Cease and Desist letter, and if he continues to refuse taking down these stolen photos taken from our monthly shipment threads/photobucket account, we will sue him for theft of image property as well as damages for loss of business.

Thank you to all those who have informed me of this issue, I greatly appreciate all of you.

Kenny Cheung
    Kenny's Discus

Registered Member

After I spoke to Kenny about this infringement. I offered to him legal advise via my son whose legal specialty is trademark, IP, and patent law. Kenny at that time, while very disappointed about this matter, did not wish to spend his valuable time perusing this. Discus.com was then and is now clearly in the wrong. Why would any sane person choose to do business with them, him, it?

Real Name
    Brian

The lack of ethics goes far beyond stealing copyrighted photo's.

I mean, let’s face it, it’s the definition of defrauding people out of money. He’s showing and telling them that they’re getting specific fish from specific breeders and then doing a bait-and-switch to have crap drop-shipped to them, probably at a reduced cost so that he pockets a ton of money. And there are once-respected vendors helping him do it to make a buck! It’s why I’m not selling discus anymore. Lots of crooks and liars in that business, like any other I guess.

You found that out the hard way, Ryan.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I bought from them and recieved my 6 Discus last week. I was surprised that they sent me bigger ones than I expected. Solid quality too. But I was very disappointed in how extremely rude the customer service was. They try to force you to leave a review and once I said I would need a few days they got mad at me and very rude.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by sethallen212 View Post
    I bought from them and recieved my 6 Discus last week. I was surprised that they sent me bigger ones than I expected. Solid quality too. But I was very disappointed in how extremely rude the customer service was. They try to force you to leave a review and once I said I would need a few days they got mad at me and very rude.
    You should include that in your review, lol...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bruce Blumberg

Wow, I wish that I had found this thread before buying discus from Michael at discus.com! Sorry for the long message, but it is a long story.

I have been keeping discus for more than 30 years. My first blue turquoise were from Marc Weiss who was very helpful and sold me lovely, healthy fish. These lived more than 10 years. When they had all passed away and it was time to get new ones, Marc was no longer selling discus to I found some that I liked at Mac's discus. The fish were colorful and healthy, albeit not show quality. These did well and lived to a ripe old age.

For the 3rd generation of my discus, I decided to stick with Mac's since the previous batch had done well. I had a new 150g tank to fill. I bought another 15 of various colors. About 13 of these grew to adulthood and spawned from time to time. A good friend decided to buy some discus for me and told me that she really liked snow leopard discus. I found some at a large discus seller in Southern California who shall remain nameless for the moment. I bought 2 snow leopards and 2 golden leopards that appeared robust and healthy and put these in quarantine despite that the guy said there no need to quarantine his discus. Within about 2 weeks, the golden leopards died. I kept the snow leopards in quarantine for about 3 months before moving them to my main tank.

I moved the remaining fish to my 150g. After that, I started to lose 1-2 discus a month until they were all gone in about a year's time. The tank sat without discus for many months although the bristlenoses and small tetras were perfectly fine. The problem was a flagellate infection that did not respond to metronidazole - the dreaded discus wasting disease. I was quite depressed.

Meanwhile we had our house renovated and I decided to restart the discus tank. I removed all the remaining fish to a spare tank in the garage since I didn't want them to pass the infection to new fish. I remove the water and sand, then added fresh water and bleach to 100 ppm. The tank ran that way for ~ weeks, i cleaned the tank and all the media, neutralized the bleach with sodium thiosulfate, emptied the tank again and filled with aged 50:50 RO-tap water and cycled the tank with Dr. Tims and Microbacter. Once ammonia was gone and nitrate registering I ordered new discus. I had planned to buy from Jack Wattley, but they did not have the leopards I wanted in stock. Then I found discus.com. I emailed back and forth with Michael, telling him of my experience and that I was looking for reliable, healthy discus and altums. He had the strains I wanted so I placed the order: 3 high body blue diamond, 3 F1 red spotted green, 3 german blue turquoise, 3 red super eruption and 3 golden lollipop, all 3.5-4" except the super eruption. 6 altums were supposed to be 3-4". I also ordered 8 high fin panda corys and 8 sterbai corys' thinking that buying from the same vendor would minimize potential troubles.

Most of the discus looked good except 2 of the 3 super eruption which were tiny and dark. 2 of the corys were DOA and 2 of the altums died in a day. I informed Michael and he said to separate the sick fish and medicate them with metronidazole. It has been about 3 weeks now. The altums showed fin rot immediately (despite that I run a 54 watt UV sterilizer) so I began feeding with erythromycin/doxycycline flakes. No real change so far. Two of the golden lollipop discus are showing white feces so I switched the food to flake with metronidazole, turned off the sterilizer and added 1 tsp/gallon of salt and raised the temp to 88 F. The 2 super eruptions in the hospital tank were not eating to I got some live daphnia for them. One is eating but the other died.

I informed Michael of all this and he says that I should have read his return policy and too bad for me. He won't even refund the 2 dead corys despite that I sent him pix and notified immediately.

All in all a bad experience with discus.com. I feel quite stupid having not investigated him before buying. My discus and altums shipped from Jack Wattley discus, but his web site did not show super eruptions. golden lollipop or high body blue diamonds in stock in 3". I have no idea what I actually received, although the fish resemble what they should.

So echoing everyone else, discus.com is not a great place to buy discus, at least not in my experience.

Bruce

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Bruce, sorry for your experience. Michel has not actually have any fish. He passed his orders on to other discus etc vendors to full fill your order. If you still have the boxes and/or shipping addresses you can lookup who actually shipped you fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast