ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mahi Mahi <--- expensive but tasty? $16/lb

Default Mahi Mahi <--- expensive but tasty? $16/lb

I asked my wife to pick up some Salmon or Tuna while she was at the grocery store. She said that Mahi Mahi was $5.99/lb so I told her to go with that. Well, apparently, it was $1/oz and she had looked at the wrong tag.

I went ahead and pressed and made the mix. I had a picky fish that wouldn't eat, wasn't sure if he was sick though. Well, he ignored my BH mix and went straight for the mahi mahi. Day three and all the discus devour EVERY piece.

So just something to consider... I also added mulberry leaves and ginger.

I don't think it's mulberry because I made a mix with mulberry leaves for my shrimp and the Discus aren't crazy about it.

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone is desperate to try and get their discus to eat. It could be luck, Mahi Mahi or ginger.

As I was making it, I was thinking this could be something I would eat if it wasn't mush
    Eric

Registered Member

Default Re: Mahi Mahi <--- expensive but tasty? $16/lb

Eric, do you cook the salmon, tuna,or Mahi Mahi first or do you smash it into little pieces and feed raw? Would smoked salmon be okay, do you think?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I asked my wife to pick up some Salmon or Tuna while she was at the grocery store. She said that Mahi Mahi was $5.99/lb so I told her to go with that. Well, apparently, it was $1/oz and she had looked at the wrong tag.

I went ahead and pressed and made the mix. I had a picky fish that wouldn't eat, wasn't sure if he was sick though. Well, he ignored my BH mix and went straight for the mahi mahi. Day three and all the discus devour EVERY piece.

So just something to consider... I also added mulberry leaves and ginger.

I don't think it's mulberry because I made a mix with mulberry leaves for my shrimp and the Discus aren't crazy about it.

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone is desperate to try and get their discus to eat. It could be luck, Mahi Mahi or ginger.

As I was making it, I was thinking this could be something I would eat if it wasn't mush
    My discus go nut with Ahi Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Eric, do you cook the salmon, tuna,or Mahi Mahi first or do you smash it into little pieces and feed raw? Would smoked salmon be okay, do you think?
    I put it in a food processor. I make it like my BH mix... basically, the most common ingredients you'll find on this forum but replace BH with SF. I don't use shrimp any more though (I used to) but fish acts like a pretty good binder. I use konjac or agar agar as my binder now.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    My discus go nut with Ahi Tuna
    I might have to give that a try. When you consider how little they eat, it's actually quite cheap and relative to "commercial" foods it's very cheap.
    Eric