ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fish room air pumps

Real Name
    Rick May

Default Fish room air pumps

I'm looking for some recommendations for a central air pump that would handle around 20 outlets with room to grow. I would like to keep it under $150.00 and It needs to be quiet.

Does anyone have any experience with the DAPMH20 or 30 or other models of the Diaphragm Air Pumps on Jehmco or other pumps?

Default Re: Fish room air pumps

The 20 won't allow for expansion. If you go for a diaphragm pump I would choose the 30.

Personally, I would spend the extra bucks and go for a linear pump. That's what I did. They last forever with no maintenance except for changing the filter every few months. The LPH45 is on sale for less than $200. It's the one I have. It is so close to silent that you mostly hear bubbles.

Another option would be to look for used Medo pumps on E bay. Medo is the pump that Jehmco uses for their linear pumps. I can tell you how to set them up to avoid the sound of vibration. They are usually around $40. each. The ones I used to use were rated for 20 outlets. I still keep mine, just in case. Al used to use these pumps. I know because a long time ago he offered some for sale on the fourm. He must have bought something else.

I would call Jehmco and talk to the owner. He is as honest as I am. He won't suggest you buy something that is not right for your set-up.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Fish room air pumps

I use the LP80 good for 80 plus tanks, so maybe a smaller would work out. Also I bought the diaphragm
    replacement at the same time, the reason once the
    diaphragm is out there is no air , unlike piston type
    pump where the pressure is just less.

Cliff