AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Feeding Adult Discus

Registered Member

Default Feeding Adult Discus

Assuming larger discus of 5"+, how many times a day should they be fed? Also assuming they are fed more than once a day, what type of pellet food works well as I would like to set up an automatic feeder? In fact, does anybody use a diet of entirely non-frozen food? Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Feeding Adult Discus

Two times a day is good for a 5 inch fish thats still growing. You could feed more. The problem with a question like this and my answer is it doesnt take into account what you are feeding and how much.

Discus can be tough to get on pellets. Your best bet is try a few and see what they will eat.
    In fact, does anybody use a diet of entirely non-frozen food? Thanks for the help
    I dont feed anything frozen. Just freeze dried , pellets, and flakes(juveniles).
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I am moving away from frozen except for brine shrimp. Al has a supply of freeze dry black worms with spinach that I would recommend and my crew likes Tetra Color granules and Vibra Bites.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I am moving away from frozen except for brine shrimp. Al has a supply of freeze dry black worms with spinach that I would recommend and my crew likes Tetra Color granules and Vibra Bites.
    I do the same Pee Wee. Maybe frozen brine 1 feed a few times a month. High quality home made flake every morning and Al’s Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms with spinach. Occasionally some live brine.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

I've had good luck with NLS thera A, 2mm, in the last 2 months. Mine used to like Northfin krill gold, but all my tanks have developed lockjaw towards all Northfin foods. I think it has to do with the hardness of the pellets. I also feed lots of frozen and NLS flake as well, so for them to eat the pellets says something.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I do the same Pee Wee. Maybe frozen brine 1 feed a few times a month. High quality home made flake every morning and Al’s Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms with spinach. Occasionally some live brine.
    Patty
    Patty, of all the foods out there my fishes like Al's freeze dry black worms with spinach the best. I did get the black works with beef heart last week and I notice that Hans has beef heart with cod, shrimp and peas that looked interesting. The frozen anything seems to be loaded with water which is included in the price by weight.

Real Name
    Patty

Pee Wee,
    That’s what mine like best. I keep saying I’m going to make Paul Sabucchi’s recipe for his salmon mix, but I keep not doing it. That’s the one I want to try though. He says, “My fish aren’t fat, just big boned.” LOL
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Pee Wee,
    That’s what mine like best. I keep saying I’m going to make Paul Sabucchi’s recipe for his salmon mix, but I keep not doing it. That’s the one I want to try though. He says, “My fish aren’t fat, just big boned.” LOL
    Patty
    I was happy when Kenny sent to me a few with wide hips. Those would be the childbearing hips.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I am raising my discus on nothing but dry foods. They eat Al's blackworms, Han's Flakes, Tetra Bits, and a mixture I made of lots of different small bits from different places I got samples of at NADA. They eat everything dry I offer. They are growing fast and well. When they are full grown in several more months I will feed the same, just twice a day instead of 4-5 now.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!