AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: fluvic acid

Default fluvic acid

A while back I ordered the Fluvic and Humic acids that Toby spoke of in his tank build thread. Now that I'm finally out of Pat's Roobios tea, it was time to mix some up and try it. I could not, for the life of me find where I put the humic so I used the Fluvic. I added it to a tank full of Angelfish that are destined for the LFS. Even though Toby was using it on his wild Discus, I had never used the stuff and didn't want to try it for the first time on my Discus.

When the Angels don't die (which of course they won't) I'll try it with my Discus. My Discus are fine, but Toby said that his seemed happier in the Fluvic and Humic acid water. Besides, it's cheap and I like the look of the tea colored water.

I was using the Roobios tea in my breeding tanks because without it the fish's eggs weren't able to hatch. No problem getting wigglers with the tea water. I'm hoping that the Fluvic acid will do the same thing.

I have no breeding pairs of Discus pairs right now but I do have some valuable Angelfish pairs that I will try it on. I sure hope it works.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: fluvic acid

Let us know how they work out.
    Since Toby posted his experience with them I have started to look into these organic acids, also a post on a UK discus group piqued my curiosity (it obviously said that his product was the best in the world and all the rest is rubbish). My slight concern is that these substances are often extracted from Leonardite, that is a poor quality coal. Besides the still debated method to best measure the actual concentration of these acids, I have some concern about the possible content of heavy metals and other residues. I would like to see an analysis of what the extracts actually contain
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Steve

"I could not, for the life of me find where I put the humic..."

I hate it when I know it's somewhere but can't find it. I've got so many boxes and bins of stuff.

Real Name
    Patty

You mean all I have to do is add roobios tea and those angel eggs could hatch? Darn you Liz, you are going to make a breeder out of me yet! Ha ha I might try it just for jollywhoo’s.
    Good luck with the Fluvic Acid. I like your fearlessness when you try new things. I could use a tea with some of that in it. Ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I can't promise you that it will work with your water, Patty. All I know is that it worked with mine.
    Mama Bear

I put the fluvic in the 125 that belongs to my larger Discus. I don't know if the fish like it better or not, but I do know that I love the look of it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Liz,
    Where (what) did you purchase the acids.

Forgive me Frank. I don't know why I didn't see your question. I bought it from this place: http://www.rootnaturally.com/store/

I have discovered that same as the Roobios tea I have eggs that hatch into wigglers with this stuff.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Forgive me Frank. I don't know why I didn't see your question. I bought it from this place: http://www.rootnaturally.com/store/

I have discovered that same as the Roobios tea I have eggs that hatch into wigglers with this stuff.
    Thanks Liz. No problem at all.

Registered Member

Liz how is that different than peat?
    I'm I wrong to think both of those are in peat?

I think that peat has more humic acid, but I'm not sure. I knows that peat added to my water works the same way when it comes to the hatching of eggs. The reason I'm not fond of peat is because it takes so long to dissolve in the water so having enough peat water is difficult with the huge WC do with Discus. Peat is for sure the least expensive option.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tobi

Glad you’re finally getting to try it, Liz. Really curious if you notice any difference mid to long term. The changes I subjectively notice are very subtle, for instance they are showing a lot less bars than they used to and look more relaxed and comfortable, but that goes for the humic acid, too. And is, as mentioned, very subjective to my perception.

Paul’s concerns regarding the safety are surely valid. The manufacturer of the fulvic powder sent me the analysis certificate, and to my recollection “it looked fine”. Need to dig it up.

Keep us posted Liz, looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

I'd be really interested if the keepers using these could make some measurements of pH, gh, AND kH before and after use. If may add some hard numbers to what people see while using it.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I no longer have a test kit but I can have my LPS do the tests for me next time I go in.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I no longer have a test kit but I can have my LPS do the tests for me next time I go in.
    That would be great Liz, thanks.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images