Ed

Default Discus two years in

Tank 90 gallons
    filters Cascade 1500 canister and sunsun 304
    substrate pfs
    lights 1 beamswork 1 color enhancer
    50% water change every other day
    temp 83-84 degrees
    I started this tank after retiring so I would have the time to put into it,after lots of research I almost talked my way out of it but with tons of help from Discus Paul{thanks Paul} I jumped into it.After my first year I had lost three fish one to an accident when she ran into the glass after being chased and died immediately and two to what I believe was hole in the head disease??? After that I got smart and removed over half the plants and planted just the back wall leaving the front for display.I started a rigorous water change schedule with aged water every other day and things have been going great since than.I replaced the three I lost and now have 6 with plans for two more this spring.All were purchased from Chicago Discus and can't say enough about their quality.Only other fish are 6 Sterbai corys.Thanks to a few people on this forum for ideas and encouragement...this is in reference to tpt forum...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus two years in

#7 nominated for picture of the month!

Details here - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t-SimplyDiscus

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Stunning discus mate. The 1 on the right in image #7 is so thick, wow. Beautiful bold colors. TFS

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

thanks

Real Name
    Patty

Way to go Doogy! Your tank and fish look so gorgeous and vibrant! What is the beautiful reddish plant? Do you use root tabs? What’s your secret?
    Patty
    I see your from Warren, MI. I’m from Wyandotte, Michigan originally. If I was standing there, I’d show you where it’s at on my hand. Ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Filip

Very nice tank setup and discus Doggy . Your plants and your discus they both look like thriving . I like the look of the one strain or better yet one colour selection that you have made .
    What kind and intensity of light do you use here ?

I'm glad that you have sorted and figured things out and now you are on the right way with your discus . It seems like we all start from that point just like you did , to find out later that adjustments should be made in order to keep our discus thriving.
    Please keep posting photos of your nice tank and fish .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Hi Patty my name is Ed and I am from the upper peninsula and as you know it is mandatory to know where on your hand your from if you live in Michigan...
    First the reddish plant is a Nymphaea or tiger lotus,I started with one small three leaf plant and it has evolved into 5 seperate plants.Besides the Discus I have been
    into the hi tech planted tanks so have a little experience there.I only use root tabs for the amazon sword and keep
    the lighting to minimum to keep the Discus from being skittish.As for my secret luck and a ton of research and some help from
    a experienced Discus raiser named Discus Paul.His advise was keep it simple so no co2,pfs instead of black sand,plants to the rear to show off the
    fish and water changes galore.If not for that advice I probably would have failed.I also waited until after retirement so I would have the time to
    devote to this great hobby.Some people think water changes are a chore I love doing them and was surprised that the fish now know me
    and gather around me instead of hiding... thanks for the reply ,thought I would add a couple pics of my planted tanks a 40 and 45..DSCF0508.jpgDSCF0507.jpg sorry for the glare should not take pics during day time lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doogy262; 02-22-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Hi Filip,the plants have low-med light needs so am running 1 beamswork 1 color enhancer neither are bright enough to grow hi light plants thanks...

Real Name
    Filip

Nice looking Dutch in the making you have there Warren .
    Palnts are thriving and completely alge free .Great job .

Well Doogy my friend, I see that that you've done exceptionally well with your launch into discus-keeping, and I thank you profusely for your kind remarks, both here and on the TPT forum, about the help I was happy to give you when you started out - you've done a fine job !

You won't be sorry you also joined simply discus- which is replete with wonderful, super informative members.
    Keep up the great work and enjoy the hobby !

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
    Hi Patty my name is Ed and I am from the upper peninsula and as you know it is mandatory to know where on your hand your from if you live in Michigan...
    First the reddish plant is a Nymphaea or tiger lotus,I started with one small three leaf plant and it has evolved into 5 seperate plants.Besides the Discus I have been
    into the hi tech planted tanks so have a little experience there.I only use root tabs for the amazon sword and keep
    the lighting to minimum to keep the Discus from being skittish.As for my secret luck and a ton of research and some help from
    a experienced Discus raiser named Discus Paul.His advise was keep it simple so no co2,pfs instead of black sand,plants to the rear to show off the
    fish and water changes galore.If not for that advice I probably would have failed.I also waited until after retirement so I would have the time to
    devote to this great hobby.Some people think water changes are a chore I love doing them and was surprised that the fish now know me
    and gather around me instead of hiding... thanks for the reply ,thought I would add a couple pics of my planted tanks a 40 and 45..DSCF0508.jpgDSCF0507.jpg sorry for the glare should not take pics during day time lol
    Wow! Your tanks are amazing and I can’t think of a better retirement hobby for a UPer in the dead of winter! Ha ha. I have a friend in Marquette. Many years ago, driving back from the UP in 2 icy ruts, I was sure we were gonna die. Fish keeping is definitely the way to go!
    My discus tank is bb, but I really want to become proficient at planted tanks. I have a 75 gal planted angel tank and a new 20 gal planted dwarf shrimp tank. I will check out TPF. Thanks!
    I just received some gorgeous manzanita wood for my discus tank and may add 1 focal potted plant if I can find the right one.
    Paul has helped countless people here, myself included and I can’t pass a post if he has chimed in as his advice is always spot on and well thought out. Whether it’s advice about discus or an excellent recipe he’s sharing, he is a gem although I think I did gain a pound or 2 after making his decadent chocolate dessert. He should have warned me that I’d want to keep sneaking into the kitchen for “another” little slice... Thanks a lot PAUL! ha ha
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 02-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks Patty - Even though I LOVE it, I don't make that chocolate dessert very often, since I eat it all quite quickly and I gain about 1-2 lbs. each time. (My wife LInda only has a small slice or two, and I eat the rest !)

Real Name
    Patty

The only way I can make it again is if I bring it to a pot luck or dinner party at some else’s home! So good!
    Patty