ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bullying of new discus

Default Bullying of new discus

Hello everyone.I just received 3 discus from Kenny. Great looking fish! They are bigger than the "old" ones I have but they are getting bullied and chased pretty bad right now. The one that has been the alpha is the guilty party. Is there anything I can do or do I just need to give it a few days for now. I have a 75 g and with the new additions I have 7 in the tank. Maybe I'm just stressing but I love these new ones from Kenny.

Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Bullying of new discus

I think they will settle down in a few days.

Sounds like the pecking order just needs to be established - as it almost always will occur.

You just got them, so be patient and give them a few days to get comfortable with their new surroundings.
    As they are larger than your exiting fish, the situation may even soon, or in time, actually be reversed.
    As long as the new fish are just being chased, and no actual serious physical damage has taken place, you need not be concerned at this point.

Thanks for your advice, makes me feel a lot better. Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight. lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bella Clarise

You have to wait for a couple of days for them to get along. Just try to monitor it, but it is pretty normal.

Another thing you can do is bucket all your existing fish even the new ones. Then move everything inside your tank differently, then add your fish back into the tank do this the next time you do a water change. Jim in Ohio

Thanks everyone

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Another thing you can do is bucket all your existing fish even the new ones. Then move everything inside your tank differently, then add your fish back into the tank do this the next time you do a water change. Jim in Ohio
    I agree with jimmyjoe. My son, studies neurology at the local medical school, told me that a brain needs change otherwise it will succumb to boredom. He also suggested to me to rearrange the branches and plants in my tank from time to time so that the fish think they are in a new habitat. I do this but I have no idea how you who have bare tanks could accomplish this. For humans the idea is to not have the same daily routine. You change your route to work sometimes would be an example of this.