ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 29 Gallon LFS DISCUS Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Default Re: My 29 Gallon LFS DISCUS Tank

I am going to start a water change right now I'm going to do as close to 100% WC AS I CAN

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

well I think i found what was going on this morning around 1 am the other day when the fish run in to the heater and broke i took it out and replaced it with a different heater and I guess it was not working correctly and the water temp got up to 94 degree I unplugged the thing took it out in about 45 mins. the fish were swimming the tank back and forth like normal their color was back to normal doing fine < now I don't know if it was the temp or if there was more wrong with the heater messing with the fish but since I took it out they have been fine so waiting to see what happens next on this adventure one just never knows

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Hello Everyone, I started a new job have not posted in a while, since finding eggs in my tank yesterday thought I would post what's going on. Like some other post I have read started a new job and getting in to new routine I slowed down on tank maintenance then just let it go for 2 weeks and I was like I have to clean this tank and get back on water changes so I did and after about 4 days of daily water changes BAM EGGS Okay I need some help was out for a little bit come sit down and like always looked at the tank to watch the fish and the cobalt was gliding up and down the sponge filter lift tube then he would look it over then glide some more so i WENT to the tank to get a better look and sure enough it was egg he was fertilizing the eggs now My problem is I did not see who laid the eggs when I got here eggs was laid this guy was the only one at the eggs and if any of the others come close he would run them off so not knowing who laid the eggs I couldn't just take everyone out except the mother and father but I don't know who is so made a cone cage put around the sponge filter unhooked the air line hooked the air line to a new sponge filter any and all advise what to do should I remove the cage and let nature take coarse or leave the cage to make sure that they make it to free swimmer stage P.S. this being young fish and first spawn Is 2nd reason for the cage

Your fish look perfectly fine to me and I think your doing very well for your first time keeping discus.
    Take everything you read here (and anywhere on the internet) as information, mostly opinion and not 100% fact.
    I've had a few runts over the years and them sometimes coming from reputable breeders to say and you know... they sometimes end up being my favorite fish.
    The so called perfect body shape is a one factor to look for, but keep in mind it's a result of breeding not nature.
    I'll take a mutt over a pure breed show dog any day.

As for your eggs...unless you're ready to invest a lot of time, effort and some money you may want to just let them be.
    If you do want to take it on... You've got a lot of reading to do.

I would never allow runts to reproduce. Stunted fish could produce some very good babies depending on their genetics.

Like slicksta said, you will have to invest, time and money if you go this route, plus breeding is such a crap shoot anyway. I like to breed, still I think that anyone who wants to breed is crazy.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Thanks Slicksta, Well I kind of had the decision made for me last evening anyway, the eggs was laid on the lift tube of the sponge when the air was unhooked stuff started coming off the sponge so I had to take it out , so i removed the cage and took it loose at the base to leave the lift tube in the water and I took it the sink the rise it off and when I come back the eggs were already mostly eaten so I just left the cage off and let get eat. I thought well it maybe for the best since I didn't know who the one that laid the eggs. But will say that I think it's awsome I didn't go chasing for it as for as messing with the water feeding live food or what not just come in sit down and it was almost over already happened now, Would the eggs hatch in this water the ph kh etc, is it right balance for them to hatch hmmm. just don't know

p.s. THANK YOU TOO LIZ !!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123