AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Gratefulness factor 10+

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Gratefulness factor 10+

Last night I went to see Captain Tom to begin the process of receiving tanks, fish and equipment in the wake of his decision to take a break from the hobby. Tom is one of the warmest, kindest, and most generous and pleasant people I have ever met. We connected on many levels.
    Last night I brought home a lovely 75gal set up and 25 of the fry Tom purchased from Al. 10 at 3-4" from the grow out challenge and another 15 he bought to raise. The move was seamless and the tank and fish are in their new location and settling nicely.
    Here's a few crappy phone pics I took late last night.
    20190222_220356.jpg
    20190222_230309.jpg
    20190222_230311.jpg
    20190222_230413.jpg
    2 of the 125's Tom is giving away will go to the communal living areas in the 2 recovery homes our church runs for men coming off addictive substances. They will create hominess and a nice ambience for the men to chill in front of. They won't house discus as the maintenance requirements are too high. I cannot thank you enough Tom. Lots of happy grateful peeps you have blessed. I look forward to continuing our connection.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Gratefulness factor 10+

You and Tom are both great guys!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Patty

It sounds like you both are stand up guys helping people in their recovery. It certainly will help calm and soothe the frayed edges as only nature can. I really love your helpful spirit Daniel and believe the moments of peace play a huge roll. I think I’m drawn to this hobby to forget my worries after a 12-13 hr frazzled day of nursing. It really does soothe me and bring back that inner calm that my mind craves.
    The discus look like they were in very capable hands during the move as well. Thanks for sharing this story. It was nice starting my day with it.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Barb and Patty! I appreciate your kind words. I enjoy serving people, especially the under served & forgotten. People often ask me if the "hassle" of maintaining an aquarium spoils the pleasure of keeping fish. I tell em after cleaning dirty adult bums all day long at the hospital it is therapeutic relief to get my arms in the tanks, lol. For me the maintenance has always brought as much peace and joy as the sitting watching. I am hopeful the tanks at the recovery houses will provide the same sense of peace & relief for the fellas as the move towards freedom.
    All the best to you ladies!
    Thanks again for making all this possible Tom!!

Real Name
    Daniel

I am no photographer, but these guys are simply ()stunning!
    20190223_220353.jpg

Danny ,

Tom is one of the warmest, kindest, and most generous and pleasant people I have ever met
    That has been my impression of him as well. I was really sorry to hear that he needed to take a break from the hobby. Its for people and because of people like him that we have such a great community here.

I am however glad that you were able to take over his fish, I am sure they are in great hands!!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Great story! I hate to see Tom leave (hopefully not for long) but it's nice everything went to such a good home!!

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Al and Brian! Tom did say he would be back at some future date but just wanted to completely clean house at this time and see what the future brings down the road sometime.
    I am still so blown away by his benevolence and generosity. Church was cancelled for us today d/t a power outage. We were having a time of thanksgiving with our children (11&12). Elijah gave thanks for Tom's great gift to us. Its important for us to teach thankfulness to our kids, and special when they express it without prompting. Very cool!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I see you are also a great Dad besides! I bet your kids enjoy helping with the fish too. Fish look really nice. Tom did well with them.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!