AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus source of unclear water

Default Discus source of unclear water

I've had problems with obscure water from day one with my discus fish, and I’ve tested many solutions. I finally came to the understanding that my discus theme selves were the source of the problem: I started a tank with only pure water, then added, with several days in between – filter media, filter starter, a root, strong lighting, and finally, after about four weeks, my discus, who had not been fed for twenty four hours, and continued to be without food. See pictures. First picture, only water for four days. Second, water plus filter media, for six days. Third, filter starter for three days. Four, a root, for six days. Five, stronger lightning, for seven days, and pictures six and seven, with discus, eight days. No question, the fish themselves are the reason why my water is dirty.
    Any ideas? Solution?
    I had a bad experience driving home with my new fish, I had stalling with my car and had to be towed. The road was very jumpy and the guy who drove the towing car drove very carelessly. The fishes were alive at the arrival, so I was not in a position to demand any sort of indemnity. Could this have damaged my discus?
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus sorce of unclear water

If I understand correctly, you added discus to a tank, then added filtration?

It sounds like you have no bio filtration, which will lead a buildup ammonia and make the water cloudy. I suggest consistent daily water changes with aged and treated (for chlorine and or chloramines) water. Hopefully your filters will create a bacteria colony and things will correct themselves within a few weeks.

Default Re: Discus sorce of unclear water

Sorry, no. First only fresh water with a brand new Eheim filter without anything, not even baskets, for a couple of days. Then I added, one by one, with a few days in between: Baskets with filter media (brand new), then filter starter, then a root, after that excessive lighting, and finally, five discus in five hundred liters of water, about a month after I started the tank with only freshwater. A few days later the water started to get cloudier and cloudier, and after a week or so, I had a tank full of fish soup. I posted some pictures, but I can't see them. I can post them again if you like.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Discus source of unclear water

Hi and welcome Jean .
    I too , think that you are experiencing cycling and bacterial blooms . You should keep the tank clean of leftover food and change 50% water daily untill your filter bacteria reproduce and catch up with your currently added bioload .
    Adding another round of botteled filter bacteria may speed thing up .
    Last edited by Filip; 02-26-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi and welcome Jean .
    I too , think that you are experiencing cycling and bacterial blooms . You should keep the tank clean of leftover food and change 50% water daily untill your filter bacteria reproduce and catch up with your currently added bioload .
    Adding another round of botteled filter bacteria may speed thing up .
    Thanks for your interest in helping me.
    The tank was thoroughly cleaned before I took the afore mentioned actions. Everything was clean and new when I introduced the fish, except for the root and the filter starter. 500 liters of clean fresh water for five discus.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome. It seems your tank is going through some "teething problems". For a tank to be ready to safely sustain long term the life of a few fish it is necessary to allow the tank and filtration system to be colonized by beneficial bacteria capable of transforming the harmful waste, mainly ammonia (excreted by the fish or produced by the degradation of uneaten food) into nitrites (still very harmful) and these into nitrates (a lot less dangerous), this process is commonly called the Nitrogen Cycle. I would suggest you asked if who sold you the discus could have them back and hold them for you while you get your tank properly cycled with the "fishless" method.
    You can find a lot of info about it both on this forum (plenty of threads, this is one http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/..._cycling.shtml ) and on the internet in general, but do not hesitate to ask for our help with any doubts
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Jean,
    Could you share with us what your experience is with fish keeping? Do you know what the nitrogen cycle and biofiltration is ? It seems theres a misunderstanding here. What we really need to help you here is more information. Can you measure your ammonia, Nitrites,Nitrate and pH please?

thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'm pretty sure the fish is the problem and not the water. I've had them in two different tanks earlier, well balanced and well-functioning, resulting in the same foggy water. I, off course assumed like you that there was something wrong with the environment and took all kind of measures. And finally, I tried what I described above, to put them in clean fresh water. Witch they polluted.

Do you have an ammonia and nitrite test kit? It sounds like you are "correct" that its the fish fouling your water. But not like you may think. You tank probably has an inadequate biological filter. Your fish excrete ammonia which can feed undesirable bacteria and algaes if you do not have a good well established biological filter. If you want to solve the problem best way we can help you is if you test your water for ammonia and nitrites. That will tell us alot of whats going on.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by jeanm View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fish is the problem and not the water. I've had them in two different tanks earlier, well balanced and well-functioning, resulting in the same foggy water. I, off course assumed like you that there was something wrong with the environment and took all kind of measures. And finally, I tried what I described above, to put them in clean fresh water. Witch they polluted.
    This is a basic understanding of what's going on with your "new" tank.https://www.thesprucepets.com/nitrog...anding-1380724

Hi guys, thanks for your patience.
    I forgot to give you important information, mea culpa. When I introduced the fish they had been starving for more than twenty four hours, and I did not feed them at all during the experiment. Pure water + fish with no plants, no sand, no feces = no ammonia = no nitrate. Right? NO2 0,07 ppm NO3 < 0,5 ppm Ph 7,7

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I forgot to give you important information, mea culpa. When I introduced the fish they had been starving for more than twenty four hours, and I did not feed them at all during the experiment. Pure water + fish with no plants, no sand, no feces = no ammonia = no nitrate. Right? NO2 0,07 ppm NO3 < 0,5 ppm Ph 7,7
    It is best to not feed fish for the first 24 hours after shipping. So what is your plan with the tank and fish now? I hope you have a heavy water change schedule planned.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

They've been breathing and other bodily functions,hence cloudy water.Fish excrete waste threw their gills>again nitrogen cycle is needed.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 02-28-2019 at 10:51 AM.

The water is so disgusting that I change about 90% every third - fifth day. I'll probably have to kill all fish and start anew. 500 liter, five discus, disgusting water three to five days after changing 90% of the water?

Real Name
    Mervin

If I may ask.....How many tanks have you cycled?Seems to be your first time.Keep up the WC's and wait for 4-6 weeks for the tank to cycle.During this time do not clean the filters.From what I understand you didn't start your cycle until weeks after you set up your tank when you added the discus.So, the first 4 weeks didn't count much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast