AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus source of unclear water

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Discus source of unclear water

Is it "disgusting" because it's cloudy or because it smells? If cloudy, it's just the cycling process. You might put a fine pad in your filter. You also mentioned a "root". What root? If the water is brownish, it might be tannins from the drift wood. Just some shots in the dark.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Just curious.......what are you feeding them? How much? How often? When? I ask this bc you mentioned that the water smells. Do you remove uneaten foods? Not trying to insult you, but to explore all avenues

Imo, your fish are very likely to be just like all of ours. Your fish are putting into the water the same products ours do and it’s not a problem specific to your fish like they have weird slime, dirt on them, but to the water. I might suggest you do remove the root and thus eliminate one more potential factor. Go bare bottom so you can see all possible uneaten foods and thus eliminate foods getting stuck in gravel or sand. Your bacteria always need surface area to attach to. Running an empty canister is not helpful as I see it. As suggested, have someone hold your fish for you while you get that water cycled/established.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 03-01-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

Also, if I may ask. What were the filter media? What was the filter starter?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jeanm View Post
    The water is so disgusting that I change about 90% every third - fifth day. I'll probably have to kill all fish and start anew. 500 liter, five discus, disgusting water three to five days after changing 90% of the water?
    It is not necessary to kill your fish. You tank is reacting as any other tank would react if it did not have established bio-filtration.

Try doing daily 50% water changes instead of 90% every 3rd day. Eventually, your filtration will kick in and do its job.

Please read the following. The first link clearly says "Are you starting a new tank? Did you replace all of your filter media and end up with cloudy water? The nitrogen cycle is one of the most important processes at work in your aquarium. Without a cycled tank, ammonia and nitrites could rise to dangerously high levels and harm your fish. This section is to educate and inform hobbyists about how the cycle works in an aquarium."

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...le/index.shtml

The second describes the nitrogen cycle and its importance:

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...o2_cycle.shtml

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeanm View Post
    The water is so disgusting that I change about 90% every third - fifth day. I'll probably have to kill all fish and start anew. 500 liter, five discus, disgusting water three to five days after changing 90% of the water?
    Jean,
    You have gotten advice regarding the nitrogen cycle from several experienced members, but as yet have not acknowledge that this could be the problem. Do you want help?

Guys Im sorry that this thread wasted everyones time.I know you were all trying to help a fellow fish keeper.

At the mention of having to kill his fish for dirty water it raised flags that we were dealing with a spammer.I checked the Ip address and its been flagged as a spammer. User is banned.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Bill G.

Thanks Al. Too bad these things exist.

Real Name
    Brian

It wasn't all wasted. There are several links to the archives... something many of us forget about (me)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12