AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New recipe: Killer chicken thighs with red peppers & onions

Default New recipe: Killer chicken thighs with red peppers & onions

Here's a brand new recipe for you, based on an old Italian recipe that I altered & added to quite significantly, after trying several variations first.

I finished modifying it about 3 months ago, and I love it so much I've made it at least once a week ever since - fabulous sauce flavor for chicken if I do say so myself !

Give it a try.

CHICKEN PAPRIKA WITH RED PEPPER & ONIONS

RECIPE IS FOR 4 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS:

- 8-10 pieces of either chicken thighs (bone-in with skin attached), or drumsticks, or combination of both.

- 1 medium-size red bell pepper (without seeds or ribs) diced into bite-size pieces (or other veggies of your choice ,- e.g. celery &/or carrot pieces). I believe it's best with bell peppers.

- 1 medium onion cut into 3/4" -1" wedges, sliced from the onion top to it's root end, keeping a bit of the root end attached to each piece if possible, in order for the wedges to stay together as much as possible - but don't get hung up on this - onion slivers will do fine.

- 4-6 cloves of garlic - slivered.

- Approx. 1 full cup of white wine, or more if need be.

- 3/4 cup of chicken stock if available, but water will do.

- Approx. 1/4, or 1/5 th approx. -of a cup each of, maple syrup, honey, lemon juice (with some zest), cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar), and bourbon.

- 3 -4 tspns. of paprika, and 1 tspn. tomato paste.

- A bit of heat is suggested - either 1/2 tspn. hot sauce for example, or up to 1/2 of small jalapeno pepper, finely diced (seeds & ribs removed). Better still, would be a heaping tspn. of Gourmet Chef mango habanero glaze, if available.

PREP:

- Remove excess fat and skin from chicken thighs - pat quite dry with paper toweling - and lightly flour all of the chicken pieces - fry pieces on stove top in a bit of veg oil at medium/high heat approx. 3-5 minutes on each e side until golden-brown (thighs skin-side down to begin with - drumsticks rotated occasionally if/when using ) - remove from frypan & set aside.

- Add all of the onion wedges and diced peppers to the same fry pan and saute on medium heat for several minutes, flipping/turning occasionally until edges/sides begin to sear/ brown somewhat - then remove and layer the roasted mixed veggies into an suitably-sized oven proof dish, to more or less evenly cover the bottom of the dish. (approx. 14" X 12" dish should do nicely.)

- Place the browned chicken pieces - interspersed - on top of the veggies - more or less evenly spaced from each other. (Thighs skin side up).

- Add a bit of butter to your frypan, add the garlic slivers and saute for a minute or 2 on med. heat (don't burn the garlic - lol) - then add the white wine, increase the heat if need be, and allow the wine to simmer until reduced by about 50%.

Meantime, mix/whisk together in a bowl all of the other ingredients - i.e. the chicken stock, maple syrup, honey, vinegar, lemon juice & zest, tomato paste, bourbon, and paprika (and diced jalapeno or hot sauce if using) until well-combined.

-Add this liquid mixture to the reduced wine and allow all to simmer for a few minutes while stirring to ensure it's all well combined - at this time thicken this sauce with some flour, or corn starch, mixed with water or milk - to increase the consistency to a light/medium sauce consistency - remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.

- Pour this slightly thickened sauce into the oven dish until the liquid level in the dish more or less covers the veggies, but is also reaching the bottom parts of the chicken pieces. If the amount of sauce is insufficient, add some white wine or chicken stock.

Bake uncovered for approx. 1 hour @ 350 degrees, occasionally basting the chicken pieces with sauce from the dish. When done, place on broil for 3-4 minutes to further darken the chicken pieces without burning them, and serve with whatever sides you've decided on.

ENJOY !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-23-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Default Re: New recipe: Killer chicken thighs with red peppers & onions

I am going to make this but half it because I cook for 1 and I don't imagine it would freeze well. I will be using brandy (not cognac) instead of Bourbon because they are both sweet and I'm not a big fan of bourbon.

I'll let you know how it goes. I won't be able to buy the ingredients until Monday because liquor stores aren't allowed to be open on Sundays in Mississippi.
    Mama Bear

Liz, I'm sure Brandy will be just fine instead of Bourbon.
    I'm real anxious to hear your views once you've tried it, because I believe you're the same kind of 'foodie' I am !

Real Name
    Patty

I’m going to have to try this too. Sounds delicious.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Patty

I’m going to have to try this too. Sounds delicious.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Gee thanks Paul. I have my sister coming over tonight and was planning on Lemon Rosemary Chicken Thighs.. Now I am not so sure! This sounds pretty tasty!

decisions decisions!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al, it's one of the most tasty, if not the best for flavor, of all chicken dishes I make.
    Drizzle some of the sauce unto the chicken pieces as you cut the thighs up, or sop them in the sauce you've placed on the plate.

It's in the oven. I just basted it for the first time and tasted the spoon. This is going to be very good.
    Mama Bear

Paul, you did not exaggerate. This is the bomb. Next time I'll make more sauce.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I have a package of legs I've been wanting to do something with. Maybe I'll try this on the weekend!!!

Real glad you liked it, Liz !

I'm making it again this week for the umpteenthed time.

I've fed it to family &/or friends 3 times now, and they all asked for the recipe, so I know it's good, even if one doesn't follow the recipe too carefully.

One thing though, don't do it without adding a bit of heat - for 2 persons I use 1/2 approx. of Jalapeno or Serrano pepper, with seeds & ribbing removed, and finely diced. A whole one will do if you like things a bit more spicy.

But if you can find 'Gourmet Chef' brand of mango habanero combination glaze/jelly/spread/marinade - go for it - it's fabulous for adding some real neat heat!

And don't forget the BOURBON !

Oh, and I forgot the maple syrup once, and it just wasn't the same.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-26-2019 at 09:18 PM.

I had to fudge a bit myself. I always have cider vinegar but not this time. White vinegar has no character, so I used rice vinegar. And I went looking for maple syrup and what I had was blueberry maple syrup. Oh well...I still loved it.
    Mama Bear

That sounds great, Liz - I'm sure the blueberry maple syrup fit in well - I'll have to try that.
    And the rice vinegar should be real good too, if that's what you have on hand. I also use that a lot.

And you know, adaptations can often make any dish recipe better - no doubt about that - so do it.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-26-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: adding comments

I want to make it exactly like you say, except I must substitute Brandy for Bourbon and celery for red pepper.

I bought that excuse for maple syrup a good while back. I don't eat pancakes. I must have needed it in a recipe once upon a time. There is nothing better than pure real maple syrup. I was stuck and used what I had. Same thing with the vinegar. It was excellent with the rice vinegar, but the rice vinegar is a little on the sweet side while the apple is more on the acidic side. I think I would have liked the apple better. Oh...I don't have access to the fancy hot stuff that you used but I was in the Mexican tienda a couple of towns over and picked up a bottle of my favorite hot sauce that I can only get there.

I think that what makes this recipe special is the tension between sweet and tart, mellow and acidic.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 02-26-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    Mama Bear

You're absolutely right, Liz - the sweet and tart, mellow & acidic combo is what makes the sauce as flavorful as it is.
    I added all of those ingredients, plus others, to the original recipe that I based this on.

I wondered if you didn't care for red bell peppers for any reason - I've tried this recipe with onions, celery, and carrots and I preferred having it with the bell pepper flavor. I also tried it with onions and partially pre-cooked and cut up fennel bulb, which I thought was quite good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast