AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ph Rises as it settles with no substrate

Registered Member

Default Ph Rises as it settles with no substrate

so in the tanks the Ph is 8.1 Gh 4 Kh 4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 2ppm or less
    my only filtration is biochar and polyfill in one, and standard active carbon pad hang on filter in other. water chemistry is the same.

the water i use is hooked up to a single element (10 stage) filter that removes chlorine chloramine even arsnic and wierd metals. water tastes great, especially next to our super pool tasting tap water. it comes out that filter at 7.0

how the hell does that work? im going to be aging my water just so there is less of a fluctuation during water changes. from what ive read to even though messing around with the ph is necessary (it the stability we are after) i feel like since i have a huge 3 cubic ft. block of peat moss i just bought for an aquascaping project, i could benefit from having a bag of it in my water aging tank since my water isnt really all that hard or carbonate, just the mineral in it have a high buffering capability at low ppms.

this is what i gather from the situation anyways...

thoughts? thank you.

Default Re: Ph Rises as it settles with no substrate

Hi,
    Take a 5 gal pail... fill with tap water right from the source . can be after 10 stage water filter... measure your pH in the pail. Add an airstone and let aerate (age) 24 hrs.Measure again. When the pH starts low and goes high its usually from dissolved gases like CO2 being present. Aerating blows off the CO2 and its the same thing that happens in your tank by the filters. The pail experiment will tell you alot ..

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    Take a 5 gal pail... fill with tap water right from the source . can be after 10 stage water filter... measure your pH in the pail. Add an airstone and let aerate (age) 24 hrs.Measure again. When the pH starts low and goes high its usually from dissolved gases like CO2 being present. Aerating blows off the CO2 and its the same thing that happens in your tank by the filters. The pail experiment will tell you alot ..

hth,
    al
    awesome ill give it a try.

Registered Member

what do you think about aging the water with peat moss?

Registered Member

Is this 10 stage water filter a R.O. type unit?

R.O. treated water can test at a pH of 7.0 because it has equal amounts if nothing and therefore will give a false 7.0 reading. A very little of anything (acid or base) will cause a severe pH spike or drop. So be very careful.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Is this 10 stage water filter a R.O. type unit?

R.O. treated water can test at a pH of 7.0 because it has equal amounts OF nothing and therefore will give a false 7.0 reading. A very little of anything (acid or base) will cause a severe pH spike or drop. So be very careful.
    Fixed it

Real Name
    Filip

Your KH -4 is already low and adding peat moss to your aging barrel can lower it even further making your water PH unstable.

Registered Member

no it is not r.o. water

ok i didnt know that 4 was low it seems moderate/low but i will take that advice

after 24 hours of bubbles pH is 8.1..

i have had huge discus in these water parameters, but i know there are things i can do better. any advice for keeping discus in high pH?

Registered Member

pH went from about 7.1 to 8.1 in 24 hrs with bubbles only no airstone.

So that likely means the pH increase is from off gasing ... Its very common which is one reason sone of us age their water..

Hth,
    Al
    ps.. you cant "age"water with peat. If anything using peat in water thats got alot of co2 will make your pH bounce around even more in the tank
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    So that likely means the pH increase is from off gasing ... Its very common which is one reason sone of us age their water..

Hth,
    Al
    ps.. you cant "age"water with peat. If anything using peat in water thats got alot of co2 will make your pH bounce around even more in the tank
    awesome. noted. thank you for your advice.