ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm prep... heres a good deal

Default Storm prep... heres a good deal

If you don't have a generator or can not have a large noisy one where you live look at this..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...2085/300792167

This invert generator is on sale and a good buy for an invert generator. These are quiet running and safe for all electronics being a sine wave generator. You wont be able to run your house on it but it may save a tank or two of discus after a power outage. You can spend much more and get bigger better ones.. but this little one is a gem. Its cheap.. fairly quiet and reliable. I have one here that I use for camping and to run my 125 display and led tv.

I bought mine a few years back during a home depot sale.

Just a suggestion but planning ahead might save your fish after a power outage.
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-25-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Storm prep... heres a good deal

Al’s suggestion is good. I have two Honda eu1000s for manual start situations.

My concern for power outage is when either it’s prolonged or when I’m not home to pull start the smaller units. I realize that my link is to a more costly unit, but I bought it two years ago and it has done great w keeping the whole house going......including the fish room. I just consider this unit part of what living in the country is about. When I bought mine, it was on sale and then I had to have it installed and a propane tank put in the yard. My wife was not happy about the cost until we had the house warm and working during our recent winter outages. It has already paid for itself in savings of house issues of outages.....no frozen pipes, no having to live in a hotel, no rotten frig. foods, thawed freezer foods, sump pump failure, and no having to replace pricey Discus/Koi etc. just my thoughts.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-S...0346/207044702
    Last edited by 14Discus; 02-26-2019 at 03:02 AM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Got to thinking about the cost factor. I spent way more for my Discus hobby than the cost of the unit. When I figured the cost of generator, installation, and propane tank, it came out to be equal to what I paid for all the Discus stuff. Listed are the general items of the Discus hobby part and these are conservative estimates. Just the good food from here costs a lot for the bio pigment freeze dried blackworms.
    For my 55g and 75g tanks of Discus:

$. Items

1200 Tanks, stands, lights
    450. Heaters, controllers
    3350 for 18 Discus w SH
    400. Cans, pumps, heater
    300. Two sumps, lights, pumps, hosing
    900. Two algae scrubbers
    1200. Denitrification canisters
    1500+ meds and foods
    250. Artificial driftwood
    450. Filters
    150. Media
    200. Test kits
    150. Four spare heaters
    300. Two spare filters
    150 For QT, filter, pump, heater
    150. Digital thermeters
    500. Larger RO system w power booster
    200. Nets, maintenance tools
    80. Sand
    100. Plants
    100. Books
    ============
    $11,980. TOTAL

I’m sure I missed some things I’ve bought for da fish, but I think you get the idea. In conclusion......I’ve spent for a generator to protect my fishroom...AND......my whole house what I spent for those goofy fish.
    463CD305-2434-4F7A-ABAE-877C8FA3D4B2.jpg
    D162CF86-32FA-4B02-8E40-C7A08C603B4E.jpg

Registered Member

I have the Honda great but pricey, so this is a good deal. How about the noise level?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I have the Honda great but pricey, so this is a good deal. How about the noise level?

Cliff
    Cliff its really quiet. Its definitely not a honda, but for the person that has an occassional power outage or tailgating party, I think its a great little invert generator. For the price and what our fish cost, its really something anyone with a tank or two of Discus should look into. This version on sale is EPA approved and CARB compliant so its a pretty clean runner.. They also have another model for another $50 at Sams club.. ($200 total)

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/1000w-...rod20640113.ip

Thats a step up and is called EPA and Carb approved... has a "quiet Idle:

I also have an older 2000 watt Ryobi invert generator I really love. The Ryobi is more expensive but not as much as a Honda. The newer ones they have even come with wifi AND some will even run ion propane... definitely check out the Ryobi Line up.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Al thanks...this will give me some piece of mind. our last 2 outages the short duration made me know I needed something

will be ordering tomorrow

Lloyd,
    Be sure to add up the watts you will need to run.. This generator is small 800 watts . your heaters will be major consummers of that... If your tanks add up to more than 800 watts look at the 2000 watt range.. they cost a bit more but they will also run your sensitive home electronics and most refrigerators.

Hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Get a Tesla Powerwall; mine has saved my butt on three occasions in the last 3 months. Ours provides enough power to run the house for 2-3 days, depending on what devices we leave running.

We had a 14 hour outage last week and our house was the only one in our neighborhood with power. We kept the tank with lights, pumps, heaters, filters running, as well as fridge house lights, TV and sundry other devices no problem. Probably saved my fish from death.

Quote Originally Posted by ggillies View Post
    Get a Tesla Powerwall; mine has saved my butt on three occasions in the last 3 months. Ours provides enough power to run the house for 2-3 days, depending on what devices we leave running.

We had a 14 hour outage last week and our house was the only one in our neighborhood with power. We kept the tank with lights, pumps, heaters, filters running, as well as fridge house lights, TV and sundry other devices no problem. Probably saved my fish from death.
    Ive looked at these when they first came out.. great concept. Do you charge yours off solar?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ive looked at these when they first came out.. great concept. Do you charge yours off solar?
    Yes, we have a 7kw Solar array on our roof. Great combination, since the Solar produces all it's power when we are at work and the house is idle. When we get back at night, the Powerwall runs the house during peak $$$$ time and saves us a ton of money.

The fact that we don't have to worry about power outages makes me extremely happy, and means the chance of losing my tank is pretty minimal now.

Cheers.

Id love to have a solar array here with that system but due to the nature of our electric company I can only do so if I buy the panels outright.Which takes away alot of the incentive for me at this time.
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Ordered. Thanks for the tip, Al.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

My tank is well below the 800 in the future I would like yo get one that would take care of the fridge/freezer but for now this gives some piece of mind
    Thanks again for sharing the info

When you guys get these be sure to watch the oil levels.. they have low oil shutoffs but its important to keep the oil levels good. Start them up and let them run a few hours to break them in. They may smoke a bit that first 30 min run.. its normal... after that its good to go.

For gas..I Run my generators down to no gas for storage. The ethanol they add to gas can gum up the carbureator if it sits in them as it draws in water to the gas. Best to add a fuel stabilizer like "stabil" to your gas storage... it really does help keep gas fresh for many months.

Its a good idea to run your generators every few months to be sure they are in good order for when you need them.

oh and dont start it with a load on the system.. start first.. then plug in your electrical cords.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-28-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Bump...

Memorial day sale at Home depot...

sportsman.jpg

These are both pretty decent prices.. They both are very budget friendly and even the 2000 watt conventional generator here is relatively quiet. For what out fish cost, a generator is an excellent investment. Pick one up before the next storm.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast