ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ryan's Growout Attempt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Ryan's Growout Attempt

So I've been off and on the forum for a few years, and finally actually received my first batch of discus today! I had setup a tank in preparation of discus a couple years ago but never pulled the trigger.

On somewhat of an impulse I ordered 10 of Al's fry and received them today, they are about the size of a half dollar or so. I currently have them in a 40b tank. I probably should have put them in a 10 or 20 gallon, not sure why I setup the 40, maybe I will move them once they are good and settled in.

Planning on 150% wc per day, aged tap water, 84°F, bare bottom. Been watching the challenger growout threads looking for tips. I feel pretty paranoid for trying to grow from fry for my first time having discus. Wish me luck, any advice appreciated. Pic is of the fry about 3 hours after delivery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ryan's Growout Attempt

Best of Luck here Ryan. I hope these fry will be as good to you as their parents have been to me!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Patty

Wow Ryan, you really know how to jump in with both feet!
    It looks like your off to a good start and you have lots of experienced people here if you need any help. I’m not one of them ha ha, but I love these grow threads and one day I may take the plunge. In the mean time, I’ll be rooting for you.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Ryan and welcome back As Patty said you have jumped in with both feet but we are here to help as much as possible. I would suggest if the fry settle in well instead of moving them to a different tank just lower the water level in the existing tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

That's a good idea, Pat.

Ryan just keep reading the grow out contest threads and do the same as the one you like best is doing. Please give us updates. Like Pat said, were's here if you need help.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by guggas View Post

Planning on 150% wc per day, aged tap water, 84°F, bare bottom. Been watching the challenger growout threads looking for tips. I feel pretty paranoid for trying to grow from fry for my first time having discus. Wish me luck, any advice appreciated. Pic is of the fry about 3 hours after delivery.
    It seems like you've done your homework! Keep up this routine and you will be successful!!!

I highly suggest Al's FDBW's. Highly nutritious and discus eat them like candy!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

The fish seem to be doing pretty good. They pick at flake food pretty well, I wouldn't say they devour it or go crazy but they slowly eat all of it eventually. Surprisingly they dont seem that interested in fdbw, I soak them for awhile but some of them still float and the fish arent really going to the top of the tank much. I'm not entirely sure where the line is between overfeeding and not feeding enough.

IMG_20190302_121854.jpg

IMG_20190302_121913.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

In additional to the baggy of food AL included, this is the flake im feeding.
    I also ordered some of the Tropical Discus Granules, D-50 Plus baby, but I dont have them yet.
    Do you think the beefheart flakes are a good option or should i use something different?

IMG_20190302_124312.jpg

The flakes are Good Ryan, just crush them up well , almost to a powder.

On the Freeze Dried Blackworms. ,.. at the size you have the fry, you will need to grind them in a coffee Grinder, and soak a few minutes in water. They won;t be able to hand the bigger worms yet.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

So we have a cold snap, I have my ageing barrel in the cold garage, sitting on topo of a 3/4" piece of foam. Wrapping it in insulation would probably help but currently my heaters are stuggling to keep it warm, barrel is at 72deg now and not going up fast. I'm delaying water changes somewhat. So how much of a temp swing is ok for a water change? I would expect the weather to be much warmer soon, so it wont be much of an issue most of the year.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Video of the fry after 8 days. The cold has passed, so I should be ok temp wise on water, but yeah, discus are a lot of work. One of my guys, the runt, has turned dark and clamped up a couple of times, you can see him do it here in this video, by the time the video was uploaded he became perky again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

So that batch of fry didnt end well. Turns out I didnt have enough bio filtration, and didnt realize it until it was too late. I have another batch now and they are doing better. They all eat well but a few of them are hogs and are growing faster. Do they look good or football shaped??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlURVzeigVA

10.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_20190727_100714.jpg

IMG_20190727_100716.jpg

IMG_20190727_100718.jpg

IMG_20190727_100720.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

I saw one footballish one but overall they are looking good!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Ryan, overall they look great. Are these from Al also? Sorry to hear about the first batch but live and learn.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Ryan, overall they look great. Are these from Al also? Sorry to hear about the first batch but live and learn.
    Pat
    Yeah, I think these were the last group of the snakeskin fry he sold. I've had them about 2 months.