AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Prime(or pond prime) vs. any other de-chlorinator

Registered Member

Default Prime(or pond prime) vs. any other de-chlorinator

So today when my wriggler box(all dead), 30 gal grow out(1 gold ram in new fish quarentine gasping for air at the top of the tank), 29 gallon black water(no inhabitants), and 10 gal breeder(no inhabitants) were cloudy smelled chemically. i suspect the new product i thought i would try in replacement of prime (api water conditioner) is the culprit. and confirmed.

having known this i did find the last bit of pond prime for my next few water changes (*aged in a food grade 50 gal drum at 82 deg. F). what are your thoughts on water conditioners and how useful are they to you? whats your favorite? any bad experiences?

until recently i had been running my water through a 10 stage single element filter for drinking and no water conditioners and was doing fine, but wanted to step up my game on how much i could change so i started a water aging vessel.

ive searched the forum and decided to make this thread so i could collectively here the people speak.
    thanks

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Prime(or pond prime) vs. any other de-chlorinator

I use Prime and have used it for a long time without problem. It’s stored in the house so cool & dry. I never had any reason to switch, but I’ve read a couple stories like yours with other brands and am glad I was never tempted. So sorry about those wrigglers and hope your ram makes it.
    Hopefully others will chime in as 1 story sounded very similar to yours.
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 03-01-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Brian

If you have access to Pond Prime buy it but use it the same as you would Prime. It's cheaper but exactly the same thing. Pond Prime directions are meant for larger volumes with a larger surface area, but they are the same thing!

Real Name
    Mervin

Try not putting any dechlor (Prime) in the aging barrel.Prime will bond those chemicals up to 48 hours after that they are released back into the water.Prime the tank and the filter well break down the chemical there.

Real Name
    Willie

I buy Chloram-X in the dry form and mix my own. It has a different active ingredient than Prime, but works just as well. If you have a scale to measure, it's the lowest cost way to remove chloramine.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Hey guys, ive decided to upgrade my water filtration to an inline sediment and cto carbon filter from hydrologic. i looked at our water tests and we only use chlorine. there is a significant amount or arsenic in the water though and some other chloroacetic acids that should filter out. anyone ever use these filters?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    If you have access to Pond Prime buy it but use it the same as you would Prime. It's cheaper but exactly the same thing. Pond Prime directions are meant for larger volumes with a larger surface area, but they are the same thing!
    Agree it's excatly the same formula. Yes I bought it before I started using Safe because it was much cheaper the regular Prime. As Seachem described one is for close systems(tanks)and the other open systems (ponds). I had the mistakenly thought it was stronger because of the pond primes instructions.

Real Name
    Mervin

Not much as changed over the years.https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/c...itritenitrate/

Registered Member

API Tap Water Conditioner? Did you use it at the recommended dosage of 1 mL per 20 gal? That dosage is very optimistic and may not have neutralized all the chlorine.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I buy Chloram-X in the dry form and mix my own. It has a different active ingredient than Prime, but works just as well. If you have a scale to measure, it's the lowest cost way to remove chloramine.

Willie
    Do you have a link for this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

I have been using Safe[Prime without the water} for over five years,4 tanks including a 90 g. Discus and 8 ox. for ten bucks lasts me almost a year even with daily water changes..https://www.amazon.com/Safe-250-g-8-8-oz/dp/B0002A5WOC/ref=asc_df_B0002A5WOC/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos

Registered Member

Fritz ACCR dry is ClorAm-X but generally cheaper. Especially if you subscribe on Amazon (not sure that's still an option though but I got some crazy cheap).

Registered Member

Here is one

https://reefnutrition.com/product_cloram_x.php

Pentair site is another.

Registered Member

ive decided to invest in my water filtration coming in and either just retrofit my RO setup to fill a res. with a float valve and add minerals to adjust gh and Kh. because we have arsenic in our water and i want to use the drainoff water to fill another res. and water the garden with aquarium water.

Is anyone familiar with SEA CROP? its desalinized deep sea ocean water rich in minerals and added in as micro nutrients in small amounts to organic gardens and hydroponics. i want to use this to buffer the water. i have yet to do any sort of testing on adding minerals to the RO water but i have tested it without minerals @ at 7ppm TDS with a hanna digital probe.

thanks