AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hexamitia medicin - info needed.

Real Name
    Casper

Default Hexamitia medicin - info needed.

Hi

I was reading up on discus sickness and meds and found my LFS had some for hexamitia (fish medicin is not legal to sell here as it requires prescription from a vet). Anyway, the active ingredient is '2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole' and instructions says to remove filter.
    There are many other brands with same ingredient, most popular is 'esha hexamitia' but none of these says anything about removing filter.

Question is: does anyone have experience with this type of drug and the effect on filer bacteria?

Default Re: Hexamitia medicin - info needed.

Hi Casper,

Been awhile, I hope you have been well!

That chemical looks simllar to Metronidazole here, used as an antiprotozoan agent. I am no chemist though! Metro does work on a small number anaerobic bacteria as well as protozoans but generally does not harm the Biofilter. I suspect 2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole works the same but may have stronger antibiotic effects on bacteria. However, when they say remove the filter they may mean remove any carbon as that will remove most medications.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Casper

Default Re: Hexamitia medicin - info needed.

Hi Brew

Well, as all other meds they all state remove carbon, uv filter etc. But on this dpecific brand they write remove filter and put media in other water source.
    I just find it strange that several other brands do not mention anything about filter or effects on bacteria.