ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Will low PH affect my nitrogen cycle?

Registered Member

Question Will low PH affect my nitrogen cycle?

I was having some problems cycling my new tank. It was at around the 8 week point I figured something is not right. My PH was very low.
    I live in Vancouver BC and our water is very acidic. I tested it around 6 all the time. I then read that low PH can stall the cycle.
    I added some baking soda around a week ago and bumped the PH to just over 7 and what do you know cycled in a week.
    I was doing a fishless cycle adding Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride.
    Now when I do a final 90% WC and re fill the PH will be down near 6. From what I understand the discus won't mind the low PH but will that mess with the nitrogen cycle?
    I would rather not have to always add baking soda to the water as I think it will be hard to maintain consistent PH that way.

Does anyone live in the Vancouver area with any tips on what they do?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Will low PH affect my nitrogen cycle?

I know a few in that area that add crushed coral to their filters. It gives you a more sustained buffering. Sodium bicarb is very quick but gets spent easily as well.

Adding it to your discus tank with your acidic water will make your pH bounce around quite a bit... Crushed coral or oyster shells is a much better optio n for water with a low kH like yours.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

You might want to get in touch with April...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...from-Vancouver
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I know a few in that area that add crushed coral to their filters. It gives you a more sustained buffering. Sodium bicarb is very quick but gets spent easily as well.

Adding it to your discus tank with your acidic water will make your pH bounce around quite a bit... Crushed coral or oyster shells is a much better optio n for water with a low kH like yours.

Al
    Al, do you have any recommendation as far as brand of crushed coral? How much do you start with?

Registered Member

What is your GH and KH? I've run a low pH tank for years and there are some advantages. Mainly, your ammonia will stay ammonium which is about as toxic as nitrate to the fish. Also, plants love ammonium and they grow well. But in answer to your question, yes, the traditional nitrogen cycle is different at pH's below 6. But IMO, in a good way, since you can do once a week WC's, less if you have enough plants.