AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juvies in the community tank

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

Default Juvies in the community tank

Hello there, We've got a community tank in which our couple bred. We separated the tank in portions for the security of the fry... The kids are now 5 weeks old and doing really good!!! We're wondering when, at some point we would take off the separator in that 120g tank!

Have you ever done this? I know it's too big for our 1 1/4 inch kiddos but what about 2" to 2.5" ones?

Thx

Default Re: Juvies in the community tank

Raphael, yep... Had it happen several times. Only a few made it but I didn't interfere (only one time did I put some netting in as divider but that didn't keep other fish from getting on nursery side. It just helped babies stay on their side until too big to be eaten).
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

Thx! So is it better to wait maybe around 3 months or older to separate them?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

WELL I say if you want them to grow be of a good size take put them in A tank by them selves so you can do good water changes and feed them and not have to worry about their food getting eat by the bigger fish and keep the conditions where they can grow out to full potential would be best

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

hans had made a post water quality is more important as the food approx.grow stendker Discus 2-2.5" 3 months 3-3.5" 4.5 months 4" 6 months and so on I can't remember what topic he posted this but it is somewhere maybe does water quality really play a role in the size Type this in the search bar and read thread

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

I am sorry to deliver this bad news but it is very hard to grow juvies out in community tank because the needs is so great for juvies to grow properly a bare bottom tank with no decore is best for ease of cleaning to make sure no waste is left behind at daily water change time and nothing for waste to hide behind or under to keep water quality at highest level as possible is found to be best route to take with juvies hope this helps I learned the hard way bought some fish that older than I thought because of their size and the shape was not to good from being in tank with one water chang a week, but they have turned around and started growing again and shape has got better with 50% percent water change a day and ever third or forth day I do 90% water change and more if the fish tell me too.

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

Here's my community tank modified for the pack, with a bare bottom side, 50% WC/day with gravel syphoning... we don't have a way to be completely bare bottom so we pay the price of heavy cleanings! The right side is about 30 gallons and the tank is 120 total... As you can see, our one problem by now is the algae control, but i don't think it'll hurt the babies that much...
    tank0.jpg

I think they're doing great at 34 days old...
    tank01.jpg

Yeah I forgot to mention that I wasn't worried about how big they grew in a community tank. I 100% agree that they will do better in a separate tank with tremendous water changes and dedicated feedings and what not as opposed to my routine for my community tank. They still grew pretty good but I'm willing to put a ton of money on them growing bigger and their own separate tank early on.
    -Elliot

What species are in your community tank?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    What species are in your community tank?

Al
    3 tetras varieties, corys sterbai, SAE, really peaceful scissor tails, ancistrus and amanos

Registered Member

Interesting outcome some of the fry have the stress bars, these seem to be slower growing too.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by RaphGiroux View Post
    3 tetras varieties, corys sterbai, SAE, really peaceful scissor tails, ancistrus and amanos
    I'd keep them separate as long as possible but I think you would be ok here at their current size... worse case scenario if they are being harrassed, you could put the divider in. One other note , when you pull the divider, up your water changes,

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

There's 2 stunted ones in the whole pack, I know there's smaller ones but I was thinking that it's hard to make them grow all even out of 50... First time and I'm a little bit affraid to move the juvies in another tank, i killed 2 by moving them from the community side to the nursery with a net...

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

, i killed 2 by moving them from the community side to the nursery with a net...
    That shouldn't happen unless they had just eaten alot. You should be able to net them that size no problem.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast