AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 90g tank with 35g sump?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Todd

Question 90g tank with 35g sump?

I have been keeping fish on and off for 30 years now and one of the things I have never tried is keeping discus. I recently got a new 90 gallon tank and I have a 35 gallon tank I am going to use as a sump for the system. My question is, what is the general consensus on this set up? I have the tank plumbed down to a DIY wet/dry filter containing sponge on first level carbon next followed by my bio filter. This then drains into the sump where it goes through more sponge and bio materials.there is a fair sized refugium part to it and then it goes to the return section where it is returned to the tank. All in all I figure I will be running between 110 and 120 gallons through the system. I have a 500 gallon per hour pump I plan on using to run it all. I am not planning on using a substrate on the display tank but am going to use some in the refugium part. The only thing I want in the tank are some branches and maybe a few pieces of wood. The water in my city tends to be pretty hard but mostly keeps a stable ph of around 7. Does anyone have any advice or comments about the set up I plan on using or any other helpful ideas or hints are very welcome. Cheers and I am looking forward to trying discus pending the advice I get on here. I am also wondering how many you suggest for this size setup
    Last edited by Szabbath; 03-03-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added more

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Todd

Default Re: 90g tank with 35g sump?

Does no one have any advice?!?

Real Name
    Bill G.

It sounds pretty good to me. I might suggest, if you’re using carbon, to put it towards the end of the run. I love the refugium part. I think a sock at the beginning would be helpful to remove the larger pieces allowing for passing of rest to bio filters, refugium, carbon, and out. I don’t use carbon except to remove any chems, myself, but putting towards the end would tend to not fill the carbon media up w materials so it can “polish” the water. I have similar sumps, but do also have a hob and anaerobic bacteria canisters along with an algae scrubber for each tank. I’m a firm believer in more than a single filtration system in case one should fail for some reason.....the others would pick up the slack until you notice the problem.

Now...there will be others out there who disagree w me, but my two Discus tanks are doing great w the multiple filtration systems. Btw......water sprite is a great refugium plant for me. I cut tons of it out all the time......thinning the thick dense growth leaving the massive root system in place to eat up the nitrates as the water flows by. My bio loads are a bit heavy, but with these all working together, my NO3 is almost always between 0-5 ppm.....and yes, the water is clear.

Again.....these are just my thoughts....others may differ, but I thought you might like to know what works for me.

Real Name
    Bill G.

I’m sorry Todd. I just now noticed your name and also that you’re a newer member. Welcome to SD.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Todd

Well thank you very much. I look forward to learning more about theses fish. As I said before I am just setting up so the more I can learn before I actually get fish the better I figure.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Your PH is fine.....mine is 7.6 to 7.8 and all are well. The key is PH stability. Btw....what is your KH and GH? Also, check out the thread link abt driftwood before you invest or proceed. It might give you some points to consider.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ftwood-is-safe

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Todd

Hello again, Thank you again for the advice. The pieces of wood I am going to use have all been cured. They are pieces I had laying around in the basement from tanks I had a few years ago. I am soakin* them again as I want them to sink themselves rather than me having to anchor them. I believe they are oak and maple. Both from my own yard so for the most part I know what they were exposed to before I even used them to begin with. I had my leg shattered last summer and I am going to be off work for a few months yet. This is why I am getting back into the hobby. Again ty any advice is welcome advice!!!