ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: More success with Breeding advice needed

Registered Member

Default More success with Breeding advice needed

I was able to get my Discus to breed. So now I have over 100 mostly attached to parents after 4 to 5 days from Wiggler's. Many aren't at top of tank with parents close by. I used a blue light at night. I think more will attach tonight once I put on the blue light. Question is how long can they feed off parents? When do I start brine shrimp or how long can I hold off. I am not home form 9am to 7pm. What are my options? Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: More success with Breeding advice needed

Also it seems after 3 day they seen to only attach to the male. Should I take out the male? They male is a little over 4 inches anyway. Male is 0ver 5.5 inches .

Let them be They often will initially chose one mate over the other more, but as they grow they become less choosy over who to graze on. As long as the pair isn't fighting, don't mess with them.

How long they can feed will depend on how much slime the parents make... if its not enough they will eat them raw. Most start their fry on BBS a few days after attaching.... Not being home from 9am to 7pm is a problem.. You can feed before and after and let the parents deal with the day time.. or you can cheat.
    Switch their light cycle and sleep less yourself. I did this when I was in the lab long hours and couldn't be home. I kept the tank blacked out and had the lights on a timer , for them, pm became am. I got little sleep but I was able to raise alot of fry doing that. Depends on the type of sleeper you are. I do well on a few hours at a time, others need a solid 8-10, for these this is not a good option.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I see on Amazon a product called instant brine shrimp has anyone has success with with product. Also on hand I have first bits mist frozon baby brine shrimp and a fine shrimp powder with an Asian label. I can feed the fish at 7am my daughter gets home at 3 and can feed them then and at 5 and 7. I can feed them at 9 and 11. Is this enough times

Registered Member

Also if I make the brine shrimp how long does the batch live for? How do you keep the remaining brine alive while you wait 24 hours for the others to hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Also if I make the brine shrimp how long does the batch live for? How do you keep the remaining brine alive while you wait 24 hours for the others to hatch?
    Usually people have 2 brine shrimp hatcheries going at a time. one in the am.and one in the pm. The reason is the baby brine shrimp hatch with a yolk sac that makes them very nutritious. This yolk sac is consummed by the bbs as it grows the first 8 hours or so and as it does the nutritional value goes down.You really just want to hatch what you need in a 12 hour period.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    I see on Amazon a product called instant brine shrimp has anyone has success with with product. Also on hand I have first bits mist frozon baby brine shrimp and a fine shrimp powder with an Asian label. I can feed the fish at 7am my daughter gets home at 3 and can feed them then and at 5 and 7. I can feed them at 9 and 11. Is this enough times
    You may want to try these...

https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/br...-free-e-z-egg/

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thank you. Ya over the last 2 days i see them fighting looking to separate possibly soon. Since they attach mostly to the female I think I will remove the smaller male. Male is only 4.5 inches anyway. I'm off today so I can observe.

Registered Member

Fighting was just too much so just removed it and added to my community tank. My brine shrimp should hatch tonight. I ordered another hatchery the will arrive Saturday. Will see