ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water Change Temp Swings

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Water Change Temp Swings

So I have some fry about 1.5 to 2 inches and a couple questions about water changes. Sometimes having my ageing barrel at the perfect temp, at the same time that I actually have time to do a WC is a struggle. I could probably arrange my heater and insulation situation to fix that but outside of that, how much of a temp swing is ok? Can I drain 84° water till they are flopping on the bottom and refill with 72° water? Im guessing not. Where do you draw the line? I dont really want to learn by experiance here because I dont want my fish to die, but also I dont want to skip a water change when I dont need to because my waters not perfect.

Also I have heard people mention, dont put prime in your ageing barrel because you will get more slime and gunk growing in your barrel if you do that. For my first few water changes I was putting prime in my barrel before pumping in tank. The last few changes I'm pumping aged water in the tank but im just adding prime to the tank as soon as the new water starts hitting the tank. I could be imagining things but I think this is stressing the fry more than pre mixing prime..thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by guggas; 03-06-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spekking, Spelling

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Water Change Temp Swings

Fry are extremely sensitive to temperature changes. I'm talking 1 - 2 degrees here. 84 -> 72 will stress out even large discus. In contrast, adding prime directly to the tank is fine.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Bill G.

I’m not experienced w fry, but a 12 degree swing is way too much no matter the size. I maintain an aging garbage can w a pump / hose, aeration and heat. My garbage can temp is always kept one degree warmer than the tanks it refills. You may have to get a bigger heater or insulate as you said, but do try to fix this large difference in temps.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Ok, I guess I need to up my heater game. My temps have dropped 4-5 degrees for some of my water changes and they do seemed stressed after those water changes. I read this thread and the comments from John had me thinking maybe it wasn't a big deal :http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...s-water-change

Maybe thats for adult discus though. They are just now active after this mornings water change.

Real Name
    Tyrone

I normally keep my aged water at the same temp as the water in my tanks, a few degrees below has not caused any issues for my discus, both the adults and the juvies.

I'm afraid that I'll never commit to adding dechlor after the water change because the fish during the change will be exposed to chlorine,etc...while the tank is refilling....I treat the tub/barrel before the fact..I wipe my tub(s) down with peroxide periodically anyway...

..as for temps, wrapping your tub/barrel with insulation or a hot water tank jacket, helps a bunch ...
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Registered Member

I have too stressed about this and now that I have week old fry. I purchased a few temp controlers. I also now use Celsius. Why cause it's good to 1 degree and Celsius setting have given a why less swing.. now what I do a water change it near perfect!