ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: We need some advice on tank set up!?

Default We need some advice on tank set up!?

Recently my wife and I purchased a second hand 110 gallon tank.
    We want to grow out 8 - 10 Discus trying for a breeding pair.
    The tank has a corner backflow with a pvc outtake underneath the tank.
    I don’t know exactly what filter we should use, we were looking at the fluval G6 canister filter and I was wondering how I would attach the G6 hoses with the pvc outtake set up in place. Also what wattage heater do you guys recommend? I know discus need to be warm. Would good heater placement be in the corner backflow? Any advice from anyone is appreciated!

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: We need some advice on tank set up!?

Please spend some time reading the sticky information on this site before embarking on this journey. If you want to grow out discus, you need to be prepared to do large, frequent water changes. You're talking at least twice a week. Some of us change 100% daily. You'll need a system to make water changes, which is difficult in a 110 gal. I have one of these and they're difficult to keep clean (when your arms don't reach). When your discus pairs off, you'll need separate breeding tanks for each pair. You'll also likely need a quarantine tank and a hospital tank. There's a lot involved. Heaters and filters are the least of it.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I would strongly suggest going with a sump filter. They are much easier to maintain than canisters and you can put heaters and other stuff in them so your tank isn't cluttered. Also, a Fluval G6 probably isn't going to be big enough for that tank if you are doing heavy feedings in a grow out tank. There are many Youtube videos and posts on here on how to set one up. Plus, with the sale at Petco going on right now, you could DIY one for cheap. As far as heaters, depending on how cold it is in your area, I would suggest 2 300 watt heaters hooked up to an inkbird or similar controller and place them in the sump.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Please spend some time reading the sticky information on this site before embarking on this journey. If you want to grow out discus, you need to be prepared to do large, frequent water changes. You're talking at least twice a week. Some of us change 100% daily. You'll need a system to make water changes, which is difficult in a 110 gal. I have one of these and they're difficult to keep clean (when your arms don't reach). When your discus pairs off, you'll need separate breeding tanks for each pair. You'll also likely need a quarantine tank and a hospital tank. There's a lot involved. Heaters and filters are the least of it.

Good luck, Willie
    Just joined this site
    Do I ask questions here?

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Jacobson View Post
    Just joined this site
    Do I ask questions here?
    Welcome Scott
    You can post a new thread in the beginners section.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Yeah, you can start your own thread to ask questions, but also reading through the stickies in the beginner section will answer a lot of your questions.

Registered Member

Scott, I find the search button very helpful in answering a lot of my questions.

Welcome
    Ron

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Like previous stated, you have a reef ready tank which is meant to be used with a sump. I don't think your set up with corner overflow is ideal for discus tank. Most detritus stay at the bottom so they'll never making it into the overflow. You want the filter intake to remove the detritus from the tank so you can clean the filter on a regular basis to keep the water params at their best. I have a G6 for my 75 gallon. I use it primary for biological filtration. If you use it as such, I'm sure it's fine for 110. I use a HOB for mechanical filtration with an extended intake tube that goes way down to close to the bottom which I find better to pickup detritus. G6 is the easiest to clean of any canister I know of. But if that's your only filter, I think you need 2 of them. For your 110, I'd plug the holes and remove the corner overflow.

Registered Member

Reef ready tanks work just fine for discus. They skim the surface to allow for good oxygen exchange and allow for increased water volume by having a sump. I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and it works great. Yes, detritus will collect at the base of the overflow, unless you have a marineland or aqueon that has a megaflow lower intake. But it really doesn't matter, since you're going to be doing weekly, if not daily, water changes and will vacuum up any detritus anyway. And canister filters are way more of a PIA to maintain than a sump. Trust me I've got 2 canisters on my african tanks. Sumps are harder to set up. But once they are dialed in, they are a breeze to maintain.

Real Name
    Mark

Definitely read through the stickies you will find tried and true answers to most of your questions. You will find that for a lot of things there are more than one way to achieve the same result. It just depends on what your goal is above and beyond having healthy fish. Another thing to consider is startup and maintenance budgets. Only you and your wife can answer that!

Getting back to your tank, having a reef ready tank is a plus. It gives you choices. The best use would be with a sump, but a canister or HOB could be added. Your tank location will also have influence on your setup. The biggest point I can make is whichever way you choose, make your daily,weekly, and yearly maintenance as easy and simple as possible. If it’s not,it’s likely not to get done and the fish will suffer. This forum is by far the best place to get good info and help on your discus adventure.