ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Brine Shrimp Cleaning / 10 gal tank

Registered Member

Default Brine Shrimp Cleaning / 10 gal tank

I am raising the brine shrimp using a 2 liter bottle. I addedthe brine shrimp with a syringe but is also had some of the salt water in it . Is this ok?

Also I have a spare 10g tank at the house could I just raise them in there and if so how long would they live for? How long would they stay small enough for the baby fry....

Do I really need to clean them. It's been only 2 days and it seem there not taking to them..they have been attached to momma for 4 days

Registered Member

Default Re: Brine Shrimp Cleaning / 10 gal tank

1st- feed them as soon as they hatch. It's there egg sac that is the most nutritious and they use that pretty fast.
    2nd- take them up in the syringe and squirt them in to a fine net, then rinse under water, swirl the net in the tank
    to feed.
    3rd- Feed them the bs as soon as they become free swimming.
    Jay

Registered Member

Thanks. I remember awhile back I just squirt them over they parents body which includes the salt water. Is then not done anymore. Can the salt water do harm

The salt will not harm the fish. I don't even bother rinsing bbs before feeding.

You could grow live adult brine shrimp with your leftover eggs, but bbs should be fed immediately or frozen. They can also be kept for a couple days in the fridge.

Registered Member

Is the frozen bbs ok for 1 to 2 week old swimmers.