AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Substrate

Registered Member

Default Substrate

I’m thinking about getting back into the hobby and was wondering what substrate to use in a planted aquarium? Any suggestions would be great, also with the new LED lights is that now the way to go with regards to lighting?

Thanks,

John

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Default Re: Substrate

Led's are the way to go but there are other alternatives.If you are thinking of going with discus than pool filter sand is the best in my opinion,it is easy to clean and the lighter color helps to prevent peppering.If no discus and you want a dark or black substrate than black diamond blasting sand is a great choice{available at tractor supply stores or on line}

Registered Member

Ok, no need to use any fluorite as a base than sand over. I’ll probably add Discus at some point to the aquarium. What’s the best way to cycle and planted aquarium? I’m assuming I can add plants right away, but can I do a fish less cycle using ammonia?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Sand over fluorite is a good base if your going for some of the harder to grow plants but for a Discus tank it will cause to many swings in ph and other parameters.Most plants take there nourishment from the water column and the substrate is just an anchor,again there are a few stem and carpeting plants that will benefit from the other mix but not worth the risk in a Discus tank and yes you can plant immediately and still do an ammonia cycle.