AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Not feeding beef heart

Registered Member

Default Not feeding beef heart

Im just curious has anyone grown out their own fry and not fed beefheart at all? Like tried to raise the fry with only flakes or pellets? Just curious what the actual results might be, not what people assume will happen.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Not feeding beef heart

I have never gotten around to using beefheart. I always relied on Al's FDBW and a couple pellets. I've had good success raising fry to sale size (2"), and several to adults, including a prize winner at last year's NADA. It can be done. I think maybe folks get faster growth with beefheart, but obviously don't know for sure.

Registered Member

Thats good to hear. I have asked a couple local breeders this question and all told me you have to feed beef heart. I asked if they ever tried not feeding it and they said no. Good to hear from someone who actually tried it.

I used to make a ton of beefheart and use a ton as well. Beefheart is not needed. Its a decent cheap food and I have used it alot over my time breeding. Just stay on your water changes and make a good mix yourself and you will have good results with it.It is messy though and is a very commonly used food but there are plenty of options out there. I haven't used beefheart in years and Have no issues breeding and raising fry.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Al if you haven't used beef heart what have you used? Thanks

Freeze Dried Blackworms are my mainfood for my adults. My fry go from bbs to crushed flake and powdered fdbw.. then to flakes and pellets and fdbw. For flakes I use hbh brand seafood lovers and for pellets I use the ones I sell.

Obviously theres a ton of feeding options out there... Many will work as good as others..Some work better than others for a particular person.

12 years ago if you asked me what I fed I would have said live Blackworms and my home made Beefheart mix.

What I use now works better for me now. What I used then worked great too.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I am raising my young discus on just dry foods, Al's FDBW, Han's Cobalt flakes, Tetra Bits and a mix of high quality pellets. They eat everything up at each feeding. And no mess to clog up my sponge filters.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Thank you for your answers. I am using the bbs now and I have a bucket of the Hans colbolt my older ones never took to. I will crush it up for there transition.

Registered Member

What is Al fdbw? I always looking for alternative food options. Sorry for the high jack!

Real Name
    Steve

Al is brewmaster15, owner of this forum, and AquaticsSuppliers.com (see his posts above in this thread). He sells freeze dried blackworms. The favorite food of many folks' discus.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Al is brewmaster15, owner of this forum, and AquaticsSuppliers.com (see his posts above in this thread). He sells freeze dried blackworms. The favorite food of many folks' discus.
    Mines love Al's FDBW more than the Hikari Blood Worms and the beef heart mix I give.

Registered Member

As long as your fish diet contains Protein, the most expensive part of fish diets, and supplies amino acids for energy, growth, protein synthesis and as substrates for key metabolic pathways. Beef heart has much of this but so does other foods. I am experimenting with meal worms in mild application. The mix that I am using contains protein at 50% and amino acids; Lysine, Methionine, fat...etc. Beef heart is protein, fat, lycopene, iron, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, selenium and zinc.

Registered Member

Haven't fed beef heart in years.
    Live black worms
    FD black worms
    Chopped red worms or earthworms
    Chopped shrimp and bay scallops
    Omega one super color and discus pellets
    And many many other foods it is endless.

Registered Member

Al I'm interested in your Blackworms. Have some questions sent message. Thank you!