AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Exact food amount containers for when I知 gone.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Exact food amount containers for when I知 gone.

Just thought I壇 share something I do when I have to be gone. The wife is not into fish and could do this for me for a few days/week. She would simply take the colored number container for that day (day 1 for example) and dump it into the matching aquarium. Each aquarium has a colored tag on it so there can be no mix ups. I have five tanks. I don稚 want her to assume what a particular tank is, hence the color tag on tank will match that days food container. No mix ups.
    Orange.....QT
    Blue.......hospital tank
    Green......20 gallon
    Pink........55 gallon
    Yellow......75 gallon
    I have pre-measured the exact amount and type food for each air tight container according to what痴 in each tank. The amount is on the light side.....about half of what I normally feed them each day.

If meds are being used in the QT or hospital tank, they, too, can be premeasured and color coded as well.

The times when I知 gone for more than a week may require me to teach her how to do a WC. Again.....all the water is already collected, heated, and aerated for her use. If I elect not to have her do a WC when gone for say 14 days, I may have her feed them every other day so as to keep the water on the clean side until I return.

I知 merely sharing what I do in case you might benefit from it. Leaving my precious fish in someone else痴 care is the worst part about being gone. Unfortunately my insect interests require me to be away a few times a year. Btw.....having someone come to check the house if we both have to be away could do this as well providing one explains how the system works to the house checker.

I also realize that the fish could go for a bit wo food, but I壇 prefer to do at least partial feedings if possible.....especially the hospital or QT.

58CB2B34-8F5C-4EFE-8E30-B373CB9D2CCA.jpg
    Last edited by 14Discus; 03-12-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Default Re: Exact food amount containers for when I知 gone.

Wow you are way more organized then me.When I go away if I have just adults I wont feed them at all but if I have fry Ihave someone stop by.

I have bbs frozen in zip lock bags.. one serving per tank so I place each set it its own larger zip lock bag and Mark the tanks with Corresponding Letters.. I also do this with fry that get crushed flake, flake, pellets and blackworms. I swear its takes more work to get ready to go away from these fish for even a weekend ..so much so that we try and stay in driving range and I come back daily!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Bill G.

Your set up sounds good too. I have three main foods for when I’m gone. Freeze dried Blackworms (in cubes and loose) with Hikari Vibra Bites and Freeze dried Bloodworms. The frozen Bloodworms will have to wait as that would be a pain for her to do, let alone a possible reaction to them on her part. Going into the frig or freezer, thawing etc would be time consuming whereas dried stuff is easy....just pop open the lid and pour in.

If I can relax some knowing my fish will get exactly what I want them to get and how much while I’m away by doing this time consuming stuff with containers, then it’s worth it.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 03-12-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

IP camera to monitor the feedings and potential problems may work as a stress relief too .
    I'm planning on getting one for my tank while I'm away for longer periods.