AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Greetings People

Default Greetings People

I am a US Army Veteran. I kept fish of all sorts at one time, got out of the hobby all together for awhile & now find myself with a new setup. I'm focusing on Angel Fish & have always admired Discus keepers, so for me, this will be more of a fact finding mission, trying to learn more from those i feel are truly experts in that endeavor.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Greetings People

Welcome to Simply!! If you're trying to learn about discus, have a look at this video!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Welcome to the forum!
    Read & enjoy.

My only contribution to you here and now is to suggest that you re-launch yourself into the hobby by going with whichever species most appeals to you at this point - either Angels or Discus.
    I've done both & love both.

But if you select discus, you won't have done better than joining this membership - it's the best world-wide for discus imo, and all it takes for you to gain the knowledge of how best to keep them, is to simply check out all the Stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginners section, and follow all the threads and posts here for a few weeks. You'll learn all you need to know to feel confident, and eventually succeed at keeping these gorgeous exceptional kings of tropicals.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks !

Actually, Discus have always been my dream, they have just been outta reach for me. No local stores carry them & if on a pure miracle they do get one or two in they look terrible & die within a day or two after a pet shop gets them in their tanks.

I have drooled over many online, but shipping costs are crazy, many times more than the cost of the fish alone. I live on Social Security, so that much money for one or two fish has not ever fit my budget. But one can always dream.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Welcome. Thx for your service!! Where do you live?

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Warrior View Post
    I am a US Army Veteran. I kept fish of all sorts at one time, got out of the hobby all together for awhile & now find myself with a new setup. I'm focusing on Angel Fish & have always admired Discus keepers, so for me, this will be more of a fact finding mission, trying to learn more from those i feel are truly experts in that endeavor.
    If you’re looking for angel fish, I highly recommend Liz Streithorst. She’s a member here and has some beautiful, healthy and unique angelfish. You’ll also find a lot of expert discus keepers here. Welcome to Simply and tell us more about your new set up.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi, welcome and thank you for your service.
    You are already on a good path to keeping either of these fish by being thorough in your fact-finding, what is most costly is making egregious mistakes.
    As you have time on your hands you can try your hand at growing out younger fish, initial purchase will be far cheaper but you will have to put in the sweat equity.
    Keep the tank bare bottom, no need for fancy equipment just a heater and air powered sponge filter or hang on back.
    As you have probably read plenty of times on this forum water quality is of the greatest importance (any idea what your tapwater is like?) so think about the logistics of doing water changes. Best of luck and keep asking.
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Indiana.

Welcome to SimplyDiscus! I also thank you for your service!

Im glad you found us! If you are looking for Discus info, you found the place for it!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Warrior View Post
    Indiana.
    Not sure if you live in Northern or Southern Indiana, but one of our sites sponsors Dennis from Dennis's discus fish is in Bowling Green Ohio. I live in Cincinnati and drove the 3 hours to pick out and pick up my fish from his Fish Room. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend him to you since you could potentially drive and pick your fish and not have to worry about the shipping costs

Real Name
    Dave Becker

Welcome to the forum. I was selling baby blue discus locally, advertising in CraigsList, for $10 each, size of half dollars. I'm in an area of one million people
    and had to drop my price. They are not difficult to take care of but take lots of fresh water changes. (I was doing 50% every day.) Local pet store here
    sells them at $35 each at that size. I'd suggest getting a tank set up and cycle it in case you find some discus priced right for you. I always use bare bottom
    tanks and feed mostly frozen and dry food. Lots of good info here on the forum. If you have questions, just ask. Good luck!

Dave near Portland, OR

Registered Member

There is a guy near to where I like in the Pacific NW that raises the Koi variety of angles. I had not seen them before until a few months ago when I myself reentered the discus keeping.