ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus killing tank mates

Registered Member

Default Discus killing tank mates

My discus fishes killed off cardinal tetras (~1.5” size) and clown loaches (~2.5” size) that I had as tankmates. I had 6 discus all 4-5” along with 15 cardinals and 5 clowns in my 75g. I was planning of moving the loaches to a larger tank that I am building but now am left with just 3 cardinals with rest all have been killed by the discus one by one.
    I would still like to have some schooling fishes with my discus. My tank is around the discus so want fishes that go well with them and some color.
    Suggestions please!

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus killing tank mates

I had the same problem with neons... they started to slowly disappear. I have two lemon tetras now with mine and plan on getting 4 or 5 more. they are too large to be killed and eaten by the discus. I also plan on doing a school of congo tetras but most people here will tell you not to do congos. I have one now and it seems fine with the discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

I've only had Discus for two years so not an expert but did tons of research and I have some doubts about them killing your fish.No offense.Have you observed this behavior yourself or are you finding dead fish and assuming it was the Discus? Discus are slow moving and large and most tetras can easily avoid them.Are you keeping your Discus well fed with plenty of meat and fish protein?Regular water changes?I have friends who have tanks with Discus and cardinals and neons and have never observed this behavior...Just curious

Registered Member

for myself I did not observe the discus actually killing the neons. just coincidence that they started to disappear then and he is the only fish big enough minus the botia. I never saw any of the dead fish but neons are small so no surprise there

Registered Member

I was puzzled with my fishes going missing, tore my tank and filters up in case they were hiding or Getting sucked in but nothing showed up. During my water changes I noticed something that looked like remains of tail fins.
    Then one night I saw my discus chasing one of the cardinals and continuously nipping at it until it was seriously injured and then started eating it. I guess the remains are cleaned up by the amano shrimps .

So yes, I have confirmed at least one of my fishes became discus meal!

Still open to suggestions for tank mates ppl

Rummy nose seem to tolerate the discus temps fine when I have had them with Discus. The discus havent bothered them.

Ive known people to keep congo tetras with them also... a friend of mine had a school of wild greens in a 125 gal tank with a small school of congos.

Personally I dont like having tetras with discus as they are reservoirs for parasites. Due to their sensitivity to meds people often skip qts on them or use meds at half dose... a recipe for disaster.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-16-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I think you’re overstocked, honestly. My personal belief is that the old 1 Discus per 10g recommendation needs rethinking, especially when you add tankmates and decorations. Just five adults in a 75 is plenty, with no tankmates. But, that’s just me.

Registered Member

My neon tetra is gone by discus too and then i choose silver tip and other bottom fish such as Cory catfish and Royal whiptail catfish be my discus mates. After that no ones dies.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    I think you’re overstocked, honestly. My personal belief is that the old 1 Discus per 10g recommendation needs rethinking, especially when you add tankmates and decorations. Just five adults in a 75 is plenty, with no tankmates. But, that’s just me.
    6-7 discus in 75g is crowded a bit once fully grown - these are temporarily housed while I get my act together to build the large tank. Though some folks have suggested that 6-7 in a 75g helps with aggression control.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Rummy nose seem to tolerate the discus temps fine when I have had them with Discus. The discus havent bothered them.

Ive known people to keep congo tetras with them also... a friend of mine had a school of wild greens in a 125 gal tank with a small school of congos.

Personally I dont like having tetras with discus as they are reservoirs for parasites. Due to their sensitivity to meds people often skip qts on them or use meds at half dose... a recipe for disaster.

Al
    Thanks Al, suggestions on tank mates other than tetras?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

More discus

Registered Member

My discus devoured my cardinal tetras. They developed a taste for the eyes. I'd find the cardinals floating around the tank with their eyes missing. And then a few days later I saw them in action, cornering and them sucking the eyes out. The problem is that in my observation, the discus are more relaxed with dithers but I've tried rummy, Lemon and cardinal. The rummies do well but I see them interfering with the females vent. The lemons and Cardinal dont last a week.

I bought 22 cardinals and after a quarantine found myself with 4 after 7 days.

I really need a school of dithers but I'm struggling to find a compatible species.

Real Name
    Shan

Damn Rolla P. Am I on r/natureismetal ?

JK. but seriously that is gruesome.

I will be following brew's advice and keeping a discus only tank. maybe a pleco

Registered Member

I’m still quite new to this so I’m probably storing up all kinds of trouble but my 9 discus seem to be getting along fine with my cardinal and gold tertras, pair of German rams, 3 flying foxes, two bristlenose plecs and two other plecs and have done so for the last four months. They all live in water at 29.1 degrees and seem pretty happy. I lost one discus a couple of days ago and some of my discus are small, so I think there’s evidence of stress but I think that’s being caused by one pretty aggressive dominant Discus. They seem to completely ignore the other fish.

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post

Al
    A handy bit of info about tetras being parasite reservoirs! Thanks