AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: HELPP!!! I am in way over my head.

Registered Member

Exclamation HELPP!!! I am in way over my head.

I was at a major chain fish store looking for plants (Pco) about an hour outside of town when I seen they had Discus fish in there aquarium plant display. One had been dead awhile so my heart got the best of me and I bought the other Discus out of compassion. I know horrible mistake. I have dreamed and read a lot about about Discus. I was working towards keeping them but I do not have my 75 gallon tank set up yet. Yes I know they prefer schools but all his buddies died SOO my question is. What setup can I make to keep this one guy healthy? Planned to keep bare bottom tank with just heater, filter and some plastic plants. What size does one Discuss need? PLEASE HELP. It is currently in a 5 gallon bucket with spring water (as I have hard water) and a heater and air line inside. What are you options? I do have Seachem Discus buffer if that helps and I have media I can take from other tanks.

Registered Member

Default Re: HELPP!!! I am in way over my head.

Sorry I was in such a frantic mode that I forgot to say Hi and I am new here, my first post. Unfortunately I wish it was different circumstances but I hope to improve the situation with everyones help and maybe some peoples disapproval but I can take it. He was doomed there anyway.

Real Name
    Brian

Hello and welcome! What an intro!!

How big is the discus? Do you have any other tanks? A single discus will do fine in a 10g or preferably a 20g tank with a sponge filter temporarily. If you don't have one, check out craigslist or similar for a cheap tank. Don't worry about your hard water, it's fine. Just make sure you do 50% water changes daily since you don't have a seasoned filter. Ammonia can build up quickly even with one fish. I would keep lights low or use indirect lighting. Since they want to be in schools, this one will be stressed and easily spooked. Keep temp at 84-86.

Keep a close eye on it and don't skip water changes with aged and heated water. LFS fish can easily have unwanted illness or parasites so keep us updated if you see anything out of the normal.

Don't buy more and immediately put them together unless. Cross contamination is a very bad idea!!

Brian

Real Name
    Brian

BTW, a plastic bucket is not good for them. If spooked, they can skim the bucked and damage their eyes and body. A cooler is better a long as there are no toxins...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I think you made an unfortunate purchase of fish that's probably very sick. My recommendation is to take it back and get a refund. As a person new to discus, your chance of saving it is pretty low.

Registered Member

Problem you have is fish stores never do returns don't even try. How much did you pay?

I would get a 20 gal tank off of OfferUp app or Craigslist . Raise the temp of tank 1 or gradually 2 a day. Keep it at 88 or 89 for 1 or 2 weeks and plenty or airation. Then gradually lower to 84. Leave it there. Keep water clean with %50 water change or high. Make sure the temp is as close as possible. It had a horrible live at the fish store. Consistency is what matters... High temp will help it settle in and gives it an appetite. Feed it small amount offer. Beefheart! Bloodworm. I've learned consistency it best!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I understand you took pity on the poor fish, chances are it will follow the fate of the others, I would definitely NOT put it anywhere near the 75 you are planning on setting up or you will risk any further purchases to share the same pathogens. I would try to get a cheap 20 gal tank (any $/gal sales near you), a sponge filter with air pump and a heater. If you change most of the water every day you can cycle the system on the fly
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

IT WORKED... for now. Thank you everyone for your replies. So I bought a 20 gallon tank on Friday night and used my cycled 30 gal shrimp canister filter. There is no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates are 10. I have 5 gallons of aged water at 70 degrees. Need another heater for aged water before I can add it. Should have it done tonight. The Discus has lighted up a lot when Friday, he also has not eaten since I got him on Friday. I tried frozen blood worms, frozen beef heart, discuss pellets and flakes. He went towards the blood worms with a little aggression but got close to the food and did not even touch it. He sits middle height near the side of the tank, smacking his lips. He doesn't clamp fins, just says in that area of the tank, near but not in the fake plants I have in there. Any suggestions to get him to eat. I read some people use Seachem garlic guard. I cant give up on him now. Please help me.

What are you feeding him now? Australian black worms from Al here work,or if you live in the south, mosquito larvae are even better. If he doesn't eat those after a few days of settling in, he likely has a parasite.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

I would let it rest with no food for 24 hours. Afterwards, try some Hikari bloodworms once he is swimming around. Keep an eye on your water.
    Perhaps you can post a picture.

I forgot about bloodworms. That's another one that's hard for fish to resist.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I got frozen omega one blood worms and he has been destroying them. Here is a picture from day 4 I had him. That would be Monday the 18th. I got (him or her idk the sex honestly) on Friday the 15th. I will upload I picture later from today. Its color is come in fully. You can see the blue in the color. Its no longer dark or stressed. It eats blood worms with no issues. Discus Day 4.jpgDiscus Day 4.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Great news OP. It is still a very young discus with a lot of growth potential so if you are willing to feed him and change water regulary it may surprise you with its looks and colours in just a couple of months . Maybe this poor little discus will be your initiation in to the discus keeping world.

Real Name
    Brian

Wow, just a few days ago you were in panic mode and look what you've accomplished! Congratulations!!

Registered Member

Fish looks good!