AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Flow

Registered Member

Default Flow

Do discus like a lot of. Flow in the tank

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Flow

Common wisdom has it that discus prefer calm waters. Mine seem to breathe more easily with a fair bit of circulation in the tank, but probably that is because I have the airstone turned to minimum otherwise the noise is a problem, being the tank right next to the bed
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

My 75 had about 1000gph turnover rate they didn't seem to mind at all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I have my return pointed to the back glass also. Water hits the glass then disperses. I personally don't like a lot of flow because at feeding time the food just gets blown around too much. I like the food to settle on the bottom. Maybe it's just my discus but they eat slowly and they mostly eat food that's settled on the bottom. I have a circulation pump that's on a timer set to run for 2 minutes twice a day. It moves poop towards my filter intakes. Works pretty well.

Real Name
    Mark

In my 245 display I have twin 1.5” returns splitting 600gph between them that are on a 45 deg down and towards the front glass. On the back wall I have a pair of gyre pumps running at 60% which rolls the tank up towards a center overflow.
    The fish in my display are not bothered by the flow,they actually play in it like kids. I have had 3 pairs laying eggs at the same time with the level of flow I have in the tank. It is not near as strong as what I had in my saltwater reef. I think as long as the flow is dispersed and not like a fire hose they do fine, I think it’s more of a preference rather than a requirement.