ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Darting and Erratic swimming NEED HELP

Registered Member

Default Darting and Erratic swimming NEED HELP

NEED HELP ASAP

1. Erratic and Darting discus. Started yesterday and is getting worse. Other fish showing no signs or symptoms right now

2. Flashing and darting discus. *this happened in my tank a few months ago and i lost 6 discus in a matter of 10 days*

3. Haven't done any meds yet and my hospital tank has a guy in there right now with an unknown issue.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    110 gallon 8 one and two year old fish 3-6"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30-50% every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    two years bb

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I do not age my water

8. Parameters and water source;

- temp __84-86___

- ph __8.2___

- ammonia reading __0.0__

- nitrite reading _0.0__

- nitrate reading _15-20___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

100% municipal

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    no new fish

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    hans flake 1-2x daily beefheart 1-2x daily

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Youtube link below

https://youtu.be/C2rWcMO4l80

Default Re: Darting and Erratic swimming NEED HELP

Hi,
    I would rule out your water first. Gas bubble disease or something related could be the cause . I would try aging and aerating your water. I have seen this kind of behavior alot in large volume water changes using unaged water . Water straight from the tap can contain large amounts of dissolved gasses especially in the winter months.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    I would rule out your water first. Gas bubble disease or something related could be the cause . I would try aging and aerating your water. I have seen this kind of behavior alot in large volume water changes using unaged water . Water straight from the tap can contain large amounts of dissolved gasses especially in the winter months.

Hth,
    Al
    Couldn't agree more,I live in Michigan and before I started using an aging barrel{especially during the Winter}after a water change I could tell they were uncomfortable and stressed not to mention a tank full of tiny bubbles,after aging I have had no problems...Ed

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,

Hth,
    Al
    More specifically, un-aged water changes can result in large ph swings. Not good for discus or any other fish!!

Registered Member

Strange is it may seem, I have noticed a common thread to the darting issue is the Cobalt flake food. Since getting back into discus last year, I have lost over $600 worth of juvies. Really thought it was because of doing water changes with straight water out of the tap. Cut back the amount of water I was changing at a time, was still losing fish. I then noticed (after reading many post on here) that alot of others having the same issue were feeding the cobalt flake. I eliminated them from the menu, haven't lost a single fish since. Take it for what its worth, just my experience. Also, went back to huge water changes with straight tap, no issues.