AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Furan II and plants

Default Furan II and plants

This is not a Discus tank so don't get on me about doing things wrong. I introduced some snails. One of them must have been carrying a disease. I treated with Furan II in this planted tank and it nipped the problem fast. But a while later I noticed some of my plants not looking great. In all I think I lost all my Jungle Val. I have a few green sticks still left in the gravel so perhaps it isn't all lost. My Amazon sword took a hit. I've had that plant for 11 years. Nothing has ever bothered it. Even my Anubis was injured badly. My micro sword and Java fern were the only plants not injured by this.

I didn't know that this was supposed to happen! Just in case you planted tank Discus don't know it either, it can happen. My tank looks rather sparse right now, but it's will fill back in with time.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Furan II and plants

Good to know this Liz . I never thought an antibiotic could kill plants , but I guess that's what happend in your case .
    Plants are cheap and grow fast , so I guess thats not as important as our fish , especially when it comes to discus .
    My concern when treating a planted tank with meds is always about plants absorbing the medicine and lowering it's potential rather than the other way around, meds hurting the plants .

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Furan II and plants

That’s too bad. Problem.....removing plants having any bacteria/snails on them might bring back your ailment to the tank after treatment. Buying new ones also could. Maybe there is a way to treat plants separately/safely and then return them to the tank. Any ideas. Btw....thanks Liz for the heads up. I have Furan 2 on hand should I need it......fingers crossed. All my Discus tanks are lightly planted (Amazon Sword, Anubis, and Java) and with very productive water sprite refugiums. Gotta be careful now.