ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bullying in 60 gallon tank!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Bullying in 60 gallon tank!!

Good morning,
    1 month ago I had 4 discus with a good community balance , no real fighting (just the normal aggression).
    NOW (1 week ago) I have a 60 gallon tank with (6) 4-5 " discus. Water parameters and temperature are fine and discus are doing well BUT I have a serious issue with fighting and bullying. I have an alpha male that acts like a GREEN TERROR , it is absolutely ridiculous. He is destroying one of my Tiger discus that has been trying to also go after what seems to be a female. I never thought this fighting would get to this degree of violence.

Sad to see such beautiful fish destroying each other. I compare my alpha male to a green terror because I've had other tanks with very aggressive fish and never thought discus would be so nasty to each other.

This morning I took out the alpha male and put him in my quarantine tank, the 60 gallon tank crowd seems a lot more relaxed now. What should I do about this situation? Should I wait a few days before I put this monster back into my 60 gallon tank? Should I add more discus (1-2 more) The alpha male is absolutely beautiful and I don't want to get rid of him.

Suggestions to solve this bullying issue, please?????

THKS!!!

Peter
    Last edited by petshannon; 03-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Bullying in 60 gallon tank!!

Ok, since u already removed him, wait a few days. Then reintroduce him after you rearrange your tank decor during a WC. I also noticed w mine that higher nitrates seem to add to aggression. When I lowered my nitrates, the aggression I had seemed to wane. Now.....he may just be a problem which might have to be sold off, but give the decor moving around thing during a 50% or more WC a try and hopefully things will work out.
    What is your....
    Temp,
    KH and GH,
    PH,
    NH3, NO2, and NO3,
    Substrate, planted, bb,
    General water movement? Just curious.

Default Re: Bullying in 60 gallon tank!!

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Ok, since u already removed him, wait a few days. Then reintroduce him after you rearrange your tank decor during a WC. I also noticed w mine that higher nitrates seem to add to aggression. When I lowered my nitrates, the aggression I had seemed to wane. Now.....he may just be a problem which might have to be sold off, but give the decor moving around thing during a 50% or more WC a try and hopefully things will work out.
    What is your....
    Temp,
    KH and GH,
    PH,
    NH3, NO2, and NO3,
    Substrate, planted, bb,
    General water movement? Just curious.
    +1. Especially the first two sentences. Also ( just in case you were thinking about) get a much bigger tank! That way you can have more fish and dilute the bullying. There will always be a bully. Humans are the same way. If you remove one then another one will become a bully and it might be worse than the first one. If you don't remove the bully then definitely don't be surprised if they don't Remain the bully.
    -Elliot