ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Plecos vs cherry shrimp

Registered Member

Default Plecos vs cherry shrimp

I currently have 15 small discus in a 100gal bb grow out tank, with some plants and clay pots for hiding, I feed them 6+ times a day with various foods. The problem I have is there are a lot of small pieces of food that get stuck to the bottom. I try to siphon them out but I would empty the tank before I got it all. That's why I am looking for something that will eat all the small pieces of food and can't decide between cherry shrimp and plecos. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Plecos vs cherry shrimp

Plecos.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion but why do you think they would be better? To me the benefits of shrimps are, they are more fun to watch, reproduce quickly, serve as live food and can't eat discus eggs (not sure about this one), the down sides are I don't know if they would stray far from the plants so I don't know if they would eat all of the food, they could easily be eaten once the discus mature and some medications can kill them. Plecos on the other hand are easyer to manage, would go all over the tank, can survive all the meds but they could eat the eggs and hog the food immediatelly instead of just eating the debris

Because the plecos will scarf leftover food. The shrimp eat very little. No reason not to get both, but a dedicated shrimp tank is way better that watching the shrimp in BB with a couple of plants in pots.. If you want shrimp, take a look at this thread. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...enose-surprise
    Mama Bear