ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Too Many Discus general advice all welcome

Registered Member

Default Too Many Discus general advice all welcome

Well after all the time I never thought this would happen. I have 3 strong pairs all they all ended up as good breeders! Luck my way?

I have 3 Breeding tanks 29g and 1 large 90 gal. I put one of the males only 4 inch lol back in the community tank he was fighting with Mom. Mom has been in the 29g with fry for over 20 day with fry that are eating brine and beefheart all very heathy. Mom is also happy. Had the one since being.

I have a yellow pair that after 2 tries have finally got it. I purchased a blue light and stuck it to the back. Today the fry are attaching... Looks like its working.

The 3rd pair I've had since before Christmas. They where are a proven pair and beautiful. 6 plus inch. They have had eggs 2 time in the last 15 days. Eat them 3 days ago. Male is not into it. Would like to give them one or 2 last chances. .

Now my issue . .....

What do I do with the babies! I would like to give my orginal pair another shot. Do I need to buy another tank soon? Can I put the fry into the 90g? I would like to leave the fry on the breeding tank for a few months. The community just has a hugh plexo! 2 tetra and 5 bottom feeders. And the Smaller male Discus. Also the 1st time around the yellow couple started to fight bad. So I will remove one of them soon after the attach...

Ones trouble is another person's success. Maybe this can help others thinking about breeding discuss plan ahead more

Default Re: Too Many Discus general advice all welcome

You have come upon the dilemma of all breeders. You can do as you choose, but the answer is to breed and keep only the best and dispose of the rest as best you can. How you dispose of the rest is up to you. Al knows that this is true.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Just moved Mom from the yellow pair into community along with the red melon male from other batch. What to do? Buy yet another tank? Any more advice? Al you out there. Experience and newbee Welcome.

Registered Member

Registered Member

15531334154853740524458883660834.jpg Happy Mom after 20 plus days with out 4 inch red melon now in community tank. They are eating BBS and mostly beefheart.

Registered Member

15531335935192077032312799188608.jpg This is the 1st day of attachment. Mom is also yellow in community tank now she was fighting and eating fry. Blue light is working for attachment

Registered Member

15531337578412860715333447583008.jpg blue light confirmed working! Turned on regular light as attached fish scattered. Will leave blue light on till tomorrow morning. Over 100 fry so far.