ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Old batch getting off food one by one 10 days after mixing

Real Name
    Filip

Default Old batch getting off food one by one 10 days after mixing

Just like the title says folks . In the beginning of March I've added 3 new discus to my current batch after I did a 3 month QT with a test discus on them .
    A week after the mixing I ve noticed a gradual loss of appetite in one of my fish which became a complete loss after a couple of days .This practice was followed by another , and another discus and right now I count 5 of my old batch that have lost their appetite during feedings and act letargic through the day . The test discus (The QT scapegoat )along with 3 others from the old batch are still holding strong and eating normal though, just like the new 3 discus do .

I started with Nifurpirinol (Furan like ) medicine yesterday because I've noticed a slightly opaque , rough skin on the first discus that got off food .He is also the only one that got white looking poop so far , others still no odd looking poop detectable .
    My plan is to keep with this medicine at least 6 days in a row , and if their appetite still doesn't improve I would propably swicth to metronidazole + 95 F temp treatment.

If anyone got some suggestions or other ideas , Please do share them with me here . I will inform you about the results in days to come .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-21-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Default Re: Old batch getting off food one by one 10 days after mixing

If you chose the right med you should see a difference in 3 days. Keep an eye on their poops.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you chose the right med you should see a difference in 3 days. Keep an eye on their poops.
    Thanks for the support Liz. I hope I will manage to pull them out this mess I got them in the first place .
    They are still very strong and healthy looking , so I got a couple of weeks to find the right thing and
    get them on the track again before they start to deteriorate . They are all full grown so that's a bit of a relief too in this ugly situation .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sorry to hear mate...bummer of a situation with the here fish being resistant to whatever has failed your other fish...I'm sure you get em through it...

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Sorry to hear about the issue, wishing you all the best and keep us posted on the progress
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

microscope is better then treatment if you dont know what happend, use mucho more salt

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Tuterosso you are right about the microscope , I have been overthinking about this investment so many times and yet spent my hobby cash on bunch of other less important stuff .
    So far second day with the Nifurpirinol antibiotic , and nothings changed yet concerning their appetite .
    Days looks like weeks when you wait for something to happen on every feed and I don't know if I would be able to reach at least 6 days with this antibiotic treatment , before I switch to heat + metro treatment .
    Basically fish look pretty ok , they interact , they approach me on feedings and even try to eat , but spit back the food after a few chews . Maybe I've made a wrong call with this treatment but I hate cutting antibiotic during it's course so I guess I will have to wait for at least 6 days (read weeks in my time .
    The opaque skin appearance that only lasted for a day in one of the affected fish was gone in a day and now their the only problem seems to be the appetite loss .

Registered Member

i buy biolight 300 is enough for our hooby. for metro i prefer magnesium salt in water and 3% in pellet and last treatment metro have 6 month ago, long time ago see hexamita on microscope.

Real Name
    Filip

Update . After the 5th day of Nifurpirinol antibiotic(Sera baktopur tablets ) non of the discus got it's appetite back so I switched to 95 F temp .+ Metronidazole dosed at 500 mg/10G for 12 days (first 3 days of treatment dosed 2 times a day ) . Very slowly, some even after the finish of the 12 day metro treament , they started taking little bites of food and eating more or less one by one . Brine shrimps is the food they have accepted at first , but I guess I'll get them to other foods too with patience and time .
    The problem is I still got 2 discus that still haven't accepted a single bite (5 weeks went by now ) since the beggining of the problem .

I plan on giving them another round bit this time with commercial product against intestinal flaggelates "Tetra -Hexa Ex " based on the active ingredient Nitrothiazole.

I wonder if anybody has some experiences to share using this particular product or it's Active ingredient Nitrothiazole in general ? I'm curious about it's efficiency over Metronidazole for intestinal flaggelates .

Real Name
    Filip

Well , just before I decide to use the new , above mentioned Hex Ex product by Tetra I bought .... they both started eating .
    The last 2 discus got back to eating after 5 weeks of noneating and they've done it on the 5-6 day after the ending of my 12 day Metro +95F temp. treatment.
    Now the only thing to do is keep feeding them multiple times a day with small portion of tasty food to get their bellies up and running again and observe for further potential problems .