ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fish lost all color or seems to be burned and blind over night

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nick

Default Fish lost all color or seems to be burned and blind over night

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

My fish was 100 % fine last night and he ate normal and then i fed before i left for work and now when i came home 8 hours later hes blind in 1 eye and seems to be dying. i pulled him and put him in quratine but i have no idea what happened

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

See above.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

one so far. i am unsure where to start

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60 gal, 6 adult discus ranging from 5-6.5

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

90% every 2 days,

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

8 months with 1/8 inch of sand sub straight

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

aged for 12-24 hours from tap water before being put into tank.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph _6.9____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _40___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water _ 5%_95% tap__

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Beefheart and tetra color granules Rick.jpgIMG_2732.jpg

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    ive inserted a before and after

Registered Member

Default Re: Fish lost all color or seems to be burned and blind over night

If it were mine I would increase the number of water changes to as many as I could do, and rub Bacitracin or similar cream on the spot. Good luck. Ron

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nick

so like 90% a day? and just how is best to apply the cream?

Im thinking that may be from a dart and crash incident... When that happens the fish can lose control of its color expression ... its thought to be nerve damage. Often it recovers on its own but sometimes they dont make it.

One thing that stands out to me is your water changes are 90% every 2 days but you are showing nitrates of 40ppm. There may be alot of waste being generated by the beefheart mix/stocking density. .. I think like Ron mentioned to up your water changes.

Nitrates can make discus skittish and prone to darting.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nick

my bad the nitratres are 30 ppm i was panic typing and didnt notice the error. but ill def watch my feeding.

Real Name
    Filip

I don't think there is anything you can do for this one but just give him the best care and hope for the recovery .
    As for the others , you should try to lower your nitrates somehow. It sound very odd and unusual to have No3 level of 30 with your current bioload and WC regime .
    Try checking your filter if they are very dirty and generate nitrates . Check your tap water too and if tap is the source for the nitrates you might as well consider mixing 50/50 tap & RO .
    Good luck Nick