ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Spawning Discus and Behaviors

Registered Member

Default Spawning Discus and Behaviors

Hi,

so two of my discus paired off and have been laying eggs. I do not have another tank so I can't separate them from the rest of the discus. Every night the eggs disappear. I'm not that worried, and I wouldn't be able to raise the fry anyways. Now everyone's being a bit aggressive since the spawning and I believe it's because I have too many males, so I'm looking to purchase a few extra females to balance things out.

Now the male of the pair (I believe) hasn't been interested in food for a while now. Barely eats and for the last few days hasn't eaten anything. I know that discus in heat aren't that interested in food but what should I do? Thoughts? Thanks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Spawning Discus and Behaviors

Having multiple spawning pairs could create more problems not fix the current one...especially if you don't have another tank to separate pairs...I had 2 spawning pairs at 1 point but sold a pair because they wouldn't play nicely with the rest of my adult fish. I had them behind a divider for the longest time but it looked tacky and I wanted my display look back so I sold them...I now have 5 adult discus in a 125gal, 1 spawning pair and the other 3 are males...the males biff on a little but no harm done...increasing the number of spawning pairs could become disastrous...I would wait on some more input from more experienced keepers here on SD

Registered Member

Best solution is to pick up another tank at least a 29g. Check apps like offer up and letgo. I am looking for another one as well. Just missed out on a 60g for $40.

Registered Member

Can't get another tank. Wife will kill me.

Would it be a good idea to split the pair up and replace so I don't have any spawning pairs? The breeder, who is on this website, said it would be a good idea to add females.