ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New air pump and established air pump help

Registered Member

Default New air pump and established air pump help

Hello all has anyone used or heard of the Fuji mac air pump for a fish room central air pump. Also the medo pumps everyone seems to like I hear that they cannot be rebuilt they have a rebuild kit but the piston wears out the sleeve and it wont give out pressure after a rebuild. Does anyone have any experience with either of these.

Default Re: New air pump and established air pump help

The Medo pumps don't have a rebuild kit because they last forever. I bought some used about 15 years ago eand they'r still going strong. I have no experience with the Fuji pumps.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Good deal on those used pumps 15 years!! is that running 24/7 for 15 years.The Medo pumps do sell a rebuild kit only problem is they don't rebuild well as the cylinder gets worn down and you cant get pressure. Manufactor of pump only rates these pumps at 6 years.I know a lot of people get longer but I aint so lucky and a pump I cant rebuild after so many years is kind of a deal breaker for me.I have heard the medo once made a diaphragm pump that was supposed to be best pump ever made.The Fuji mac pumps are kinda new here in U.S.A But not in Japan they hold a 40% share of pumps working their and these are supposed to be a hot item. Quiet, runs cool , lasts a long time between rebuilds [and it is rebuildable] which is 5 to 9 years and a very low running cost. Also I can buy a 60l Fuji mac cheaper than a 45l medo more pump less money.I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy the Fuji Mac.

You've done a lot of research so I'm certain that you're making the right choice.
    Mama Bear

Check 'Pondmaster' too...they do have easy rebuilt kits too
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Registered Member

The newer Fuji mac air pumps are excellent air pumps. They use rare earth magnets (stronger) so it consumes less electricity (to produce the same output of air) and runs cooler (longer life). I saw a Septic company introduced this into the US market.

Registered Member

You are right that Japan made some very long lasting diaphragm pumps. I have five Gast diaphragm air pumps (made in Japan in the early 2000, probably OEM by Fuji Mac). One of them ran 7x24 in my pond from 2002 till 2018 (more than 15 years) and finally one of the two diaphragm was torn (the other diaphragm was still in good condition. Parts are no longer available now.

I still have 4 left; two running and two as spare.

The auction site sometimes have these on sale but usually they are from used medical or industrial equipments.