AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need opinions this pairs

Registered Member

Default Need opinions this pairs

Hi guys,

I took this pairs out after seeing them shaking and fight the others fish in the gen tank. I'm not sure if they're female and male, or female female. It's been almost 4 days since I took them out and they still do cleaning. The cone is made of ceramic that I bought from Amazon.

Water change 80%/day, pH 6.8, temp 84f. I feed them once a day with frozen bloodworms, they seem to like it more than the freezed dried blackworms.

Should I keep doing the water change routine and wait? Does removing the black background help? I see a tiny tube coming out from both of them. Thanks

https://youtu.be/0UUosrx0e1Y

Default Re: Need opinions this pairs

That is a drop dead gorgeous pair. We generally feed a more varied diet and feed at least twice a day but since the fish are happy with what and how often you're feeding now, I can't advise you to change your routine. The only thing I would change is to move the cone to the corner of the tank. The tank is small for the size of the fish, and if they lay on the back of the cone you won't be able to see the eggs. Also, after the pair lays their eggs you might not want to change so much water because if you do, it will be exposing the eggs to air. That's OK if your WC is fast and the eggs are out of water for only a short time, but they can't be out of water for too long.

Do you have any filtration in the tank? I see none in the video, nor do I see bubbles anywhere.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If you take the "s" out of https when you paste the video link into the video upload section it will load like this;

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Agree with Liz on all her points...gorgeous pair...what strain were they sold as?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That is a drop dead gorgeous pair. We generally feed a more varied diet and feed at least twice a day but since the fish are happy with what and how often you're feeding now, I can't advise you to change your routine. The only thing I would change is to move the cone to the corner of the tank. The tank is small for the size of the fish, and if they lay on the back of the cone you won't be able to see the eggs. Also, after the pair lays their eggs you might not want to change so much water because if you do, it will be exposing the eggs to air. That's OK if your WC is fast and the eggs are out of water for only a short time, but they can't be out of water for too long.

Do you have any filtration in the tank? I see none in the video, nor do I see bubbles anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    If you take the "s" out of https when you paste the video link into the video upload section it will load like this;
    Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Agree with Liz on all her points...gorgeous pair...what strain were they sold as?
    Thanks you guys. I'll stick with what I'm doing right now, I'll also move the cone to the corner tmr if they still don't lay eggs tonight.

They are red map.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They are a gorgeous pair. I also think they would do better with a cycled filter with air. Ammonia etc can build quickly in a small tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    They are a gorgeous pair. I also think they would do better with a cycled filter with air. Ammonia etc can build quickly in a small tank.
    Pat
    I'm moving them to the 20 gallons tank tonight

I'd go bigger than a 20 gallon , maybe a 29 gallon should be considered as the smallest tank for breeding 40 gallon would be ideal...……….Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

I've had very good luck with the 29g. They are cheap at PetSmart.