ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Which lighting would you pick for plant starts?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Which lighting would you pick for plant starts?

Wasn't sure where to put this, so...

I start most of my veggies from seed, including tomatoes and peppers in pots/trays. I keep them indoors and have to add lights until it's warm enough for them to go in the little 6x8 greenhouse. I used to used T12 shop light fixtures with up to 4 tubes. I gave those to my son, but don't think he's using them yet. I started using my extra 4' T8 aquarium light strips with full spectrum tubes. Worked well enough. I don't think I have many of them anymore, and have extra 4" LED strips. I've just been using the Aqueon LED strips. The question is whether the LEDs offer enough of the right spectrum for plant starts. Somewhere I got the idea they had generally narrow spectrum ranges. However, it looks like that might not be the case. I've attached a pic from an LED and T8 light tube box showing spectra. What do you think? Thanks.
    Steve

IMG_6176.jpg

Default Re: Which lighting would you pick for plant starts?

i'd try gro lights. tons of options on amazon for not much $. and yes, i think LED would have plenty of power. but i would expect yours to work too.
    Last edited by Jack L; 03-30-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Jack. I picked up some led shop lights from costco I plan to try. Just hope the spectrum is sufficient.

Real Name
    Steve

So, the 4' LED shop lights I bought at Costco for $25 are 4000K color temp,"cool white" tubes, built into the fixtures, not removable/replaceable. Turns out that type is usually very monochromatic, emphasizes a bright white look in our visible range, but has little of the red or blue that plant starts want. My tomato starts are sprouting. I'll be shopping for better light options tomorrow.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have 6700k T5 in my tanks.6400k is about normal day light to the eye.They do well under that color.Has both red and blue rays and penetrate deep.I also grow cannabis seedlings under that lighting while in veg stage but need a redder light for flowering.