AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Another stock level question.

Registered Member

Default Another stock level question.

Greetings everyone, this is my first of possibly many questions on here.

I have a Juwel Trigon 190 tank which currently houses three fully grown blue discus, now according to a couple of retailers I should be able to accommodate 5 to 6 fish in it.

What's the opinion of people here on this, are they right, or is there an alternative answer?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Another stock level question.

Hi steph and welcome to SD,
    Forgive my ignorance, but is that the brand name and size of the tank? 190 gal? If so, you could easily do 5 or 6 and more, depending on what else you have in there, your maintenance/ water change schedule, etc. Common thinking around here is 10-15 gallons per adult discus. Also, that groups of 6 or more are preferred as a way to spread out aggression in pecking order squabbles.

Registered Member

This is it, 190 litres - https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Pro...-navigationbar

At the moment the fish are happily getting along together, but a local shop has a few 4" fish in some lovely shades of orange and yellow that I really like the look of.

Real Name
    Steve

Ah, so roughly 50 gallons. So, you might get away with 6 discus in there, but the corner design might not offer as much room for them to spread out like a rectangular tank would. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts, too.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 03-31-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

There are many others who have more Discus experience than I, but imho, if you have great filtration, don’t overfeed, and do WCs, 6 should be fine. I have 7 (3 adults, 3 teens, and 1 preteen) in my heavily filtered ( hob 350, bio balls, refugium, algae scrubber, and Fluval 406 canister) rectangular 55g set up. Adults are at or near 6”, teens at 4-5”, and preteen at 4”. And....I do the WCs (40-50% once or twice a week) w a couple of light feedings per day. Once in a while, I skip a day of feeding as well. This tank also has 3 CoryCats for cleanup.

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Stephec. That tank is pretty small and poorly shaped for discus but if you do not have any other choice you can keep 6 discus In it , having in mind that you will be overstocked be prepared for over filtration and more Waterchanging(at least 3 times a week ) and do not overcrowd your tank with plants and decor.
    Barebottom or a very thin layer of PFS sand would help too , keeping your water clean for dicsus.

Registered Member

Thanks guys, I went into a different shop today and his advice was -

with the size of my current fish I could probably fit one more of the same size, or put in three smaller ones although there is a chance that they might get bullied and not grow to full size.

The other option is to wait until the current stock are no more and then introduce six children all at the same time.

Looks like I've got some thinking to do.